Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Winter rides - bib tights, Autumn rides - shorts and leg warmers
  • I use leg warmers this time of the year and I also use bib tights.

IMO given a choice between the two, the extra warmth of the bib tights is insignificant in warmer conditions compared to the better comfort and the extra warmth for when it gets colder.

Leg warmers are a pain to put on and will slip down during the ride.
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    The Ronhill bikesters aren't proper cycling tights. I doubt they are much warmer than shorts and legwarmers. They also don't have a pad in them. Have a look at the DHB tights on the Wiggle website.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Of the two products you have linked to, I would go with the leg warmers. However, bib tights are the attire of choice in the winter. In my experience with non-bib tights you will end up with the tights gradually slipping down so that you have loads of material flapping around between your legs - NVG.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    My normal shorts & leg-warmers are OK unless it's below 7°C or so (although it's true that some leg-warmers are prone to slipping down which is annoying) - below that temperature, I tend to wear thin shorts under a pair of bibtights mainly to keep the Crown Jewels a bit warmer.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The Ron Hill's are only thin polyester and so won't offer much thermal protection - fleecy-backed tights bib tights are universally accepted as winter bike wear. Leg warmers are only really suitable in temperatures above about 15 degrees depending on the type. Their ability to stay up is dependent on the shape of your legs, getting the right size and the quality of the leg warmers - if you've got the legs of a sparrow (no offence Mr Willcox!), don't go for leg warmers - definitely try before you buy.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    The Ron Hill's are only thin polyester and so won't offer much thermal protection - fleecy-backed tights bib tights are universally accepted as winter bike wear. Leg warmers are only really suitable in temperatures above about 15 degrees depending on the type. Their ability to stay up is dependent on the shape of your legs, getting the right size and the quality of the leg warmers - if you've got the legs of a sparrow (no offence Mr Willcox!), don't go for leg warmers - definitely try before you buy.

:D
    No offence taken. For the record I've just measured my legs; calves are 16" and thighs are 24".

The legs of a sparrow they ain't, but leven with legs like tree trunks leg warmers will still slip and they aren't as comfortable to wear as bib tights.
  • I have a thermometer outside the front door .

I read it before I get ready to go out for a ride .........

12 degrees or above - shorts

8 to 12 degrees - shorts + knee warmers (don't have three-quarters)

less than 8 - bibtights no pad but with shorts underneath

icy - don't go out

Seems to work out OK for me .
    Luke
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    bib tights

leg/arm warmers are rubbish IMO.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    bib tights

leg/arm warmers are rubbish IMO.

Disagree . I like arm warmers . If it's a bit chilly first thing you can put them on with a short sleeve jersey then take them off if it gets warm later . Or vice versa . Good piece of kit for me .
    Luke
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Decent leg warmers are brilliant I find, wouldn't go out without them.
  • roger645
    roger645 Posts: 111
    Decent leg warmers are brilliant I find, wouldn't go out without them.

out of interest what would you say are decent ones?

Roger
    Current Steed: 02 Marin Tiburon
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    The ones by Defeet are excellent. They look like they are your grannies knitted tights but stay put and keep you warm.
  • torico
    torico Posts: 67
    blimey I was always told to wrap up when its less than 20 degrees. I wear arm/ leg warmers for about 2 months a year but they do offfer flexibility and I rate the defeet ones I reckon sub 12 degrees and im dressed up like a ballerina

just invested in some castelli tights and can say they are the best I have ever used. warm very comfortable and no tightness over the knees - well worht the £90

when I lved in spain, no one wore shorts unless it wa plus 20 degrees mind you they didnt take off their jumpers and coats untill the same temps either!! but I would rather be too warm than too cold - why risk colds and wrecking your knees- get kitted up!
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Harden up you bunch of ... if you're training properly, all you need is shorts, saying that, my legs are so muscular I can't get legwarmers to fit them, no one does an xxxxxl :wink:

On a serious note I find the cycling dress code a bit confusing at times, like people racing with leg warmers and arm warmers in early/late season events. If you did that in a rugby game.... well um, you just wouldn't! Do you think that cyclists do have a habit of over dressing?

I still haven't found it cold enough yet to wear leg warmers this winter but saying that, I wear arm warmers all through our (so called) summer.
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    I wear tights on the bike when still in shorts for running - you just get a lot colder on the bike.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Now that winter has kicked in - its bib tights for me. As the guys say thouhgh - leg/arm warmers are great for those rides in between Winter and Summer.

You always need more kit on when cycling compared to other sports - you ride faster so there is more wind chill, the arms arent actually doing anything to generate heat anyway.
    I always run in shorts and thats fine, but have to wrap up on the bike.

Chances are that your bike rides will be longer than the average game of rugby, and if you are chilly anyway and have a puncture you will be freezing by the time its fixed.

That said - just out for a run now. Brrrr !
  • http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Bib tights are superb.

I have Addidas Climawarm

The advantage of bibs is that the material goes higher up your back than waist ones and this keeps the lower back warmer.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    Last few weeks, arm wamers and knee warmers. As it gets colder, I'll use leg warmers, and put the tops under the shorts, they stay up then. When really cold, Ronhill Bikesters, used them for the last couple of winters, and been warm enough.
  • Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    Mild to cool weather, shorts and leg warmers. Any colder and bib tights are much better. Night riding, always bib tights as it's f*&^%$#g freezing after the sun's gone down. Last winter was so mild I hardly wore bib tights on daylight rides, I was generally wearing 2 pairs of shorts and leg warmers. This works great, stops you getting cold around the crotch area and you can find your you know what when you stop for a natural break, boys that is (why does it shrink like that when it's cold?). Nearly forgot to say that peeing when wearing bib tights is a bit of an art.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Legwarmers if I expect to take them off during a ride (or put them on if an evening ride).
    Tights otherwise, sometimes bib, sometimes plain with braces to stop the sag.