Washing a Altura Nevis jacket?

tardington
tardington Posts: 1,379
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
Mine's has gone all grimy and manky (it's a yellow one) - is there a proper way to wash 'em? There doesn't seem to be a label, and the website isn't too helpful.

Can I just turn it inside out and do it at 30? Or will the waterproof-ness go away?

Comments

• I've got one of these... think I washed it on the coolest setting I could find...
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    Don't know about the Nevis, but I believe your ment to use SNOWFLAKES or similar for washing.Think they generally recommend non biological cleaners as they are less likely to strip away the waterproofing. Most outdoor shops, Blacks,Millets etc sell Grangers clean and reproofing kits, but I don't personally know if they work or not.Anyone used them before?and how good are they?
  • sbullett
    sbullett Posts: 139
    Mine survived the normal family wash (40 degrees, non-bio powder) many times with it's waterproofness intact....shame I then left it on the train :cry:
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    I've washed my motorbike jackets like this a few times.

If you want to wash it in the machine Go to milletts or a blacks and get some of the Nikwax tech wash, stuff it in the machine on 30 degree wash with the tech wash and wash it that way.

Alternatively you can do what I do, I fill up the bath with warm water and then wash the jacket with some mild baby shampoo.

Dont use normal detergent as somebodies said above its to harsh and it'll rob your jacket of all its waterpoofing.

Once you've washed it, you have two more choices. You can buy again from Mileltts or Blacks some more Nikwax products that will re-waterproof your jacket, one sort you put in the machine and wash it again with this stuff in the machine, the other you just spray on the jacket whilst its still damp.

Once your done hang the jacket up somewhere warm as the heat activates the waterproofing agent in the product.

I've washed several motorbike jackets and then retreated them and they've never leaked even when I rode back from Ireland to Somerset in a torrential downpour last year.

My other half used to work in Milletts and she said this is the best way to care for your jacket, especially if its a Goretex one.

Hope thats useful.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Ah...now if I'd only read that last post before washing my nice Craghopper...which is no longer waterproof

Used very mild detergent, then sprayed it but it was dry...will try it wet...think it's a lost cause, mind...

How good is the Nevis?? It is nearly Xmas... :roll:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • SecretSam - This will be the 3rd winter I've used the Nevis, I have to say that it's impressive. At £49 you will not find a better w/proof...
  • SBothwell
    SBothwell Posts: 293
    SS - If the main problem with it is that you washed it in a detergent, then wash it again with just water, then again with either Nikwax tech-wash or pure soapflakes (these are cheaper). This should get rid of the detergent residues and let you reproof it again successfully.
  • beanzontoast
    beanzontoast Posts: 1,457
    I'm on my second Altura Nevis - great jackets, but in spite of washing in the correct detergent with Nikwax added (and also trying the spray-on variety), IME I haven't quite got back the level of waterproofing that the new garment had. Sleeves especially seem to need more 'treatment' - you can tell by the way the rain lies on them that it's soaking in rather than being repelled.

Sticking with them as a brand though!

Edited by beanzontoast looking ever so carefully for mistakes
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    SecretSam wrote:
    Ah...now if I'd only read that last post before washing my nice Craghopper...which is no longer waterproof

Used very mild detergent, then sprayed it but it was dry...will try it wet...think it's a lost cause, mind...

How good is the Nevis?? It is nearly Xmas... :roll:

Of course, right now on Wiggle they have the Night Visions (the hi vis, slightly better version) for a bit less!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    You can get a Night Vision for £46.95 from Ribble at the moment;

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.a ... TUZJAC0350