La Marmotte novice

shfcook
shfcook Posts: 347
edited October 2007 in Pro race
I want to enter this year (for the first time) but can't quite really get the same kind of information as per the Etapes, ie:
a) can one just get an entry only deal?
b) who do you apply to?
c) do you need a doctor's cert?
d) do you have to sign on day before?

I have emailed an address is Le Bourg d'Oisans, but have rec'd no reply as yet. Any more info and tips like where to stay would be gratefully rec'd.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    I think you mean next year? :wink:

It's easy to enter as you can register online from January at the following website;

http://www.sportcommunication.com/GT/index.php?langue=2

You will need a certificate from your doctor to enter and there used to be a standard form available to download from the above website. Some GPs will happily sign it whilst others will charge you.

You do have to sign on the day beforehand and to pick up your number. I believe you can do it the morning of the event but, frankly, avoid the hassle and get it done the day before.

I rode it last year, 2006, and it was the toughest one day event I've ever ridden. But it was incredibly rewarding to have done it too.
  • shfcook
    Thanks, apologies, of course I meant 2008. Is there any capacity left by Jan, or is it like the Etapes, all pre-booked with package operators?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I think you can enter on the day before the event in Alpe d'Huez. Applying earlier gets you a good start number, that's all.
  • shfcook
    Are there time eliminations, like in the Etape?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Yes, but the times are quite slow. Riders have something like 12 hours I think, it's not the same as the Etape as the roads are open (but few motorists bother on the day), so it's not like the roads have to be reopened at such and such time etc.
  • andyp
    shfcook wrote:
    Thanks, apologies, of course I meant 2008. Is there any capacity left by Jan, or is it like the Etapes, all pre-booked with package operators?
    Entries open in January so just get into the habit of checking the website every day and you should have no bother getting an entry. My start number was around the 600 mark (out of 8000) when I entered online in 2006.

I think some tour operators run packages to the Marmotte but it's very easy to arrange yourself. Alpe d'Huez is a ski resort with something like 10,000 rooms available so it shouldn't be difficult to find somewhere to stay. Getting there is fairly straightforward too although you'll probably need to hire a car to get from the airport/train station.
  • shfcook
    Thanks isn't it best to stay in Le Bourg d'Oisans for the early start, and transfer back directly after the event?
  • andyp
    shfcook wrote:
    Thanks isn't it best to stay in Le Bourg d'Oisans for the early start, and transfer back directly after the event?
    There are only a handful of hotels in Bourg d'Oisans and most are block booked by the Dutch year after year. Descending the 14 kilometres down from Alpe d'Huez takes 20 minutes.
  • If you are considering the Marmotte, check the other thread on this forum on the same subject if you have not already done so, under "Training".
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12546730
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    andyp wrote:
    shfcook wrote:
    There are only a handful of hotels in Bourg d'Oisans and most are block booked by the Dutch year after year. Descending the 14 kilometres down from Alpe d'Huez takes 20 minutes.

The only disadvantage of staying atop the Alpe is that if you are there for a few days, taking in some of the other climbs, everyday ends with an ascent of the bloody thing. We used to leave our car at the foot in the morning. At least we had the option of driving up if necessary.
    The tourist office at L'Alpe is handy for finding accommodation - as others have said, there is no shortage at the top of the mountain.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'