falling off is faster!

Random Vince
Random Vince Posts: 11,374
edited November 2007 in Commuting chat
yesterday, came down a slope on my roadie and the back wheel hit a wet zebra crossing and slid, had enough time to think "oh oh, ah i'm on the floor, ouch"

i reccon i'd have got it back on the mountain bike!

the irony being;
had SPD's on for two weeks now and not fallen off due to them
started dating a student nurse the day before

had to walk into uni today, need to check the bike for damage but i dont think i'll be back on it for a little while, my knee is too sore to even climb steps.

so, yup, first carnage for me on a road bike, just thought i'd say.
My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday

Comments

• bad luck

I ws close to a crash yesterday, out on a short training ride, drafting a car down East Heath Road (this is a steep hilll on the west side of Hampstead Heath). Prob doing 25 mph, car brakes & signals left quite legitimately, I grab the brakes but wet & greasy conditions mean I lock up and skid right up the inside of the car. Luckily he has seen me and doesn't make the turn. We both end up stationary next to the the turning, his passenger gives me a filthy look, "sorry my fault" i say and cycle off suitably chastened.

Lessons - 1) you can't stop as quickly as a car 2) I should have been further to the right so I could have gone past on the outside
    <a>road</a>
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    glad you are ok mate, but think about it the student nurse can now nurse you back to health ;)
  • jbindman
    jbindman Posts: 1,328
    I ws close to a crash yesterday, out on a short training ride, drafting a car down East Heath Road (this is a steep hilll on the west side of Hampstead Heath). Prob doing 25 mph, car brakes & signals left quite legitimately, I grab the brakes but wet & greasy conditions mean I lock up and skid right up the inside of the car. Luckily he has seen me and doesn't make the turn. We both end up stationary next to the the turning, his passenger gives me a filthy look, "sorry my fault" i say and cycle off suitably chastened.

ive had a couple of nasty moments on that road including hitting a pedestrian at the wiggle by well walk, and a scary swerve when a car pulled out of the East heath car park. basically the problem is that its easy to reach 25mph plus on a downhill, but a bike really isn't in control at that speed & its unwise to forget it.

of course cars have the same problem, most cars can get to 100mph & its only when you try and stop in a hurry you discover you have no control whatsoever.......
    fgg 1666
  • Random Vince
    just a quick update incase anyone cares

I can no longer walk beyond shuffleing round my flat which sucks, lots :(

that will be all

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Oh unlucky mate, here's a hug for you. Gentle one, mind.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    we don't really care for your mobility, tell us us more baout the student nurse :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Random Vince
    screw you t4tomo, she's mine

found that if i lower the saddle of my mountain bike i can rest my left foot on the pedal and push with my right foot against the floor, gets me to my gf's house

will figure out how to get in and out of uni later :)

that will be all

• A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    t4tomo wrote:
    we don't really care for your mobility, tell us us more baout the student nurse :D

Agreed. :lol:

Where's the pics?

Of the bike and knee of course. :wink:
    FCN 10