Converting Road Frame into a TT bike - such a bad idea?

rjsmith
rjsmith Posts: 1,924
edited October 2007 in Workshop
I've got a spare Ti road frame. I don't want to sell it as it's one of the best frames I've ridden but it's now a little bit superfluous.
I sold my dedicated TT frame as I didn't do many TTs anymore (this may change next year but don't know yet) and the top tube was a bit short for me. I also found the position very uncomfortable (probably due to the frame being a little too small for me).
So you can see where this is heading. The top tube on the Ti road frame is ok for me as a TT frame. The rear wheel is tight on the seat-tube. Very comfortable frame. Headtube isn't too big for me as I think the small headtube of the Tt frame helped make it more uncomfortable.
Seat angle is an obvious problem but I used a Profile fast forward a few years ago on a Cannondale road frame and my time didn't seem to suffer.
So what do you reckon - is it such a bad idea? I've still got all the bits off the TT frame to put on it.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    It's a good idea if you think you can get aerodynamic enough within the constraints of the frame. It sounds like you can so you should give it a go.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If you have all the bits then I see no reason not to try it. You have nothing to loose other than a bit of time. All good maintainance practice.
  • rjsmith
    Thanks for the comments. Looks worthwhile, especially as I might do some hardriders events next year.

Anyone know if you can reverse the Thomson Elite layback seatposts to use them the other way round to get a more forward position?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I used to TT on my road bike with the addition of Tri-bars and quick wheels, just gave me the option of riding the good bike when not racing - swap wheels over jobs a good en...

Also as mentioned, the thing will handle well, ideal for non-drag strip courses - like the ones I used to do in Cheshire....
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    Don't know about reversing the Thomson Elite post. I would think not, some have a restriction on the angle of the saddle. Try messing about in your LBS, and see if it's possible, but I read that yu used the profile design fast forward post previously, did you sell it? I have one and think it's great, moves you forwards, and opens the hips out, and makes it easier to breath, as your not s bent up with a normal post when on the aero bars.
  • rjsmith
    Think I've got the old alloy one somewhere, though it's been well used. Weighs a ton though so was wondering about the Thomson, but I think you're maybe right about the seat clamp angle problem when reversing.