Cycling with an Ipod

shockedsoshocked
shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
edited October 2007 in Workshop
How do people do it?

I used to stick it in some shorts when I first got my MTB last summer, and put the earphones up under my jersey, but bib tights don't have a pocket in. Do people use those pouches that you stick to the top of your arms, or what?

Spending a few hours on Moor roads on my own with an incessent clicking coming from my BB has finally took it's toll.
"A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015

Comments

• Back pocket of the jersey works for me.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I just stick it in back pocket of a jersey or on the chest pocket of my jacket.

I have seen a few cyclists with them on their arms. A couple of my mates use these when running but I think I'd be distracted by them on the bike. Too tempting to adjust the volume, change track and generally faff on. At least when its in my back pocket its out of sight and requires me to stop. Safer for all parties me thinks.
  • bombdogs
    bombdogs Posts: 107
    Personally, I don't like riding with them - stop you hearing any cars coming up behind you. They're great when you go running (use one of those pouch things on my arms cos it's a video one), but if you really wanted to use one I'd suggest making a tiny hole just inside one of your jersey's back pocked and threading the earphone lead through that. That way you're not tempted to mess about with the volume etc and everything is nice and tidy - just make sure that you don't make the hole any bigger.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Got a Shuffle - I clip it to the shoulder strap of my tights/shorts and keep the cables under my jersey. Alternatively buy a Rapha jersey which has a purpose-built hole for your earphone cable.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i got an armband :D

i change track whilst riding but thats not a problem, how many of you NEVER take one hand off the bars EVER, you drink from your bottle whilst riding why shouldnt you change track?

I dont change volume when riding as i cant get used to the new wheel as i got a new ipod whereas before i had a 3g with the extra row of buttons which i could work perfectly well whilst riding along.
  • I've got the neck thing it clips onto and I-plugs so they don't fall out of my ears.
  • Woolfie
    Woolfie Posts: 34
    Now its a bit cooler I tend to wear at least a couple of jerseys and stick it in the back pocket of one of my under layers and bring the headphones up my back an out at the collar - I just put one headphone in on my left side and I can hear vehicles behind as well as without the headphone in. No flapping wires then.
    Bakewell Toybox
    Bakewell
    Derbyshire

www.welovetoys.co.uk
  • I've got the neck thing it clips onto and I-plugs so they don't fall out of my ears.

Will it hold an ipod video though? :?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • labarum
    labarum Posts: 110
    I just prefer the quietness of the countryside. I was fitted with a hearing aid a few weeks ago, so I put it on for one cycle ride expecting to hear the birds. I did - and I learned how noisy even well adjusted gears are!

I hate pedestrians with iPods. They are a danger to themselves and others. They can't hear the traffic, and they certainly can't hear a bike bell. It can't be safe cycling with an iPod - what does the new Highway Code say?

I need an air zound!
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Labarum wrote:
    !

It can't be safe cycling with an iPod - what does the new Highway Code say?

I need an air zound!

I'm not convinced that being able to hear a car coming up behind you is of any advantage when riding on the road. Do you change your road position when a car is behind you? A car sounds pretty much the same whether it is going to pass you by 6 inches or 6 feet. You might be able to tell the difference just before it hits you but by then it's pretty much too late anyway.

In my opinion the only thing you're likely to be able to gain from hearing the traffic better is about 1/2 a seconds notice of your impending death. May as well be oblivious to that.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • Only use my at the gymn, my bib shorts do have a pocket on the back which is handy!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Get a shuffle, clip it on anywhere!
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    i stick mine in my jersey pocket and the wire up through the jersey. works a treat for me
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    bombdogs wrote:
    Personally, I don't like riding with them - stop you hearing any cars coming up behind you. They're great when you go running (use one of those pouch things on my arms cos it's a video one), but if you really wanted to use one I'd suggest making a tiny hole just inside one of your jersey's back pocked and threading the earphone lead through that. That way you're not tempted to mess about with the volume etc and everything is nice and tidy - just make sure that you don't make the hole any bigger.

I agree. Play it safe. Don't use them. Getting hit by a car could ruin your whole day at
    the very least. Of course if you are young and invincible have at it.

Dennis Noward.
  • I'm with Dennis ... bad, bad idea. Compromises safety and potentially means liability issues in the event of an accident.

that said, i do sometimes indulge in richmond park, because IMO (rightly or wrongly) the risks are lower there.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    I still don't understand why not wearing an ipod will protect me from being hit by a car from behind?
  • andyp wrote:
    I still don't understand why not wearing an ipod will protect me from being hit by a car from behind?

You might be more aware of traffic coming up behind if you can hear it better?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,128
    I'm being devil's advocate a bit - but I still don't see how hearing traffic coming from behind will allow me to react if someone is about to hit me with a car.

The one time it nearly happened to me all I could do as the car slid at speed towards me was hope he got some grip quickly (thankfully he did and collided head on with a car travelling in the opposite direction). Wearing or not wearing an ipod would not have made one iota of difference in this case.
  • andyp wrote:

The cyclists who pull out on me when I'm overtaking them tend to be almost exclusively from the headphone wearing camp. It's not always about YOUR safety.
  • Garybee
    andyp wrote:

The cyclists who pull out on me when I'm overtaking them tend to be almost exclusively from the headphone wearing camp. It's not always about YOUR safety.

What are they pulling out around as you're overtaking them?

• bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    Garybee wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Usually nothing. They're just wandering around aimlessly, oblivous to everything else around them because they're listening to a ruddy ipod, rather than concentrating on cycling in a straight line.
  • i have a nano, just put it in my back pocket with the wire between the jersy and base layer. put it in a case though to avoid the sweat.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Garybee
    bryanm wrote:
    Garybee wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Usually nothing. They're just wandering around aimlessly, oblivous to everything else around them because they're listening to a ruddy ipod, rather than concentrating on cycling in a straight line.

If you are leaving so little room when overtaking that a the cyclist cannot move a couple of feet without causing an accident then you are passing too close anyway. If they are pulling out round something then you shouldn't be overtaking them until they are past whatever they are pulling out round.

• andyp wrote:
    I'm being devil's advocate a bit - but I still don't see how hearing traffic coming from behind will allow me to react if someone is about to hit me with a car. .

What people seem to be missing is that being able to hear traffic can help you identify more that just traffic coming from the rear. Especially out in the country. Crests of hills, blind corners, junctions, driveways, etc. In all those cases, I've heard cars long before I would see them.

Anyway you look at it, if you can't hear anything but music, you will be less aware of your surroundings. It's up to the individual if they like listening to music enough to warrant the risk. (Which admittedly is much less than say, riding blindfolded) I don't think you are that likely to hurt anyone else, so in my mind it's kinda like wearing (or not) a helmet. Your neck, your choice.
  • Garybee wrote:
    bryanm wrote:
    Garybee wrote:
    andyp wrote:

If you are leaving so little room when overtaking that a the cyclist cannot move a couple of feet without causing an accident then you are passing too close anyway. If they are pulling out round something then you shouldn't be overtaking them until they are past whatever they are pulling out round.

I give plenty of room. As bryanm says, some folk really are just oblivious. You might well not need to cycle with one of your senses available - but many others do, and should. That's my experience.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I tried a couple of rides with an Ipod Shuffle - and decided that it wasnt for me. I tried to keep the volume down, but still found myself distracted. If I can hear a car behind me for example - I'm more aware of where I'm riding - whereas if the road is empty - I'm happy to zig zag up hills or ride in the middle of the lane.

So not for me, but not really bothered what other riders do.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    I have the shuffle - clips on the bottom of the jersey and thread the headphones inside the jersey.

I used to use my old ipod mini, it went in the back pocket which was ok, but the shuffle is awesome - only 1Gb., but plenty even for fairly long rides.
  • I usually go everywhere with music. Everything I do seems to have a soundtrack lol, but I have never taken my mp3 player on a cycle. I just prefer hearing the cars etc around me for safety reasons. Plus since I live in the city, when I go for a cycle I always head out of the city and its nice not having all the noise. It's a nice change. :)