Re-use of double-sided tubular rim tape

plm2441
plm2441 Posts: 4
edited October 2007 in Workshop
After many, many years, I recently reverted to tubulars. Memories of glue everywhere tempted me to buy double-sided rim tape. Super easy, super clean. However, I had to remove one of the tubs and found that the tape came off on the tub and I'm really worried as to, when I put the tub with the tape still on it, whether it will stay on under lateral stress!! Any advice?

Comments

• I wouldn't reuse the tape. Just pull it off and put some new stuff on.
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Could be useful if you have sex with your bike!
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    depends how much you like the feeling of a tub rolling off during a fast desent on a hot mountain road really.

For a few quid I would not put my self at risk of injury.
  • craigenty
    craigenty Posts: 960
    I went back to tubs two years ago. After a descent of Mont Ventoux on not a particularly hot day the back end felt a little wierd.
    When I stopped I could lift the tub of the rim with my finger and thumb. The tape had turned to mush with the heat of braking.
    I'll never use tape again but if you prefer it for 3 quid a roll use new everytime.

Craig
  • :( Well thank you, all three, for your comments.
    1/ I'm not sure I trust the tape so I will revert to cement/glue.
    2/ the sex connection eludes me; I must be getting old
    3/ It wasn't the pain of parting with a few dollars but of parting with lots of skin or more on a fast, winding descent that prompted my query.
    To tell the truth, I was hoping that perhaps someone with some actual experience might answer. I'll keep listening.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Double sided tub tape is fine providing that both the rim and the tub are clean at the point of installation.
    However cleaning the old tape and glue off a tub is time consuming and a PITA.
    Use it as a spare 'get you home' and buy a new tub.
    Even cementing a previously taped but still dirty tub is not satisfactory as the cement will only adhere to old tape which will decide to leave the tyre when you least expect it.
  • Hi Anton,
    Thanks for your reply. If I understand you correctly, d/s rim tape is fine on a new tub and a clean rim but that the price of easy application is either a PITA or a new tub! They are brand new tubs only a couple of weeks old so I think I'll strip off the tape before it becomes a PITA and use good.old-fashioned cement.
    Cheers
    Peter : mrgreen: