Sinkewitz dished dirt on T-Mobile (06 flavour)

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited November 2007 in Pro race
http://au.sports.yahoo.com/071025/5/1ghkf.html

Does this mean we're in for a spate of T-Mobile riders from last year giving teary confessions soon?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He's singing like a canary...

...and more power to him, to shed some light. He's doing a Millar, taking the blame and admitting guilt in a plea bargain for a reduced ban (NB Millar admitted to reduce his chances of prison time)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I wonder if a certain two-times world champion is slightly uncomfortable at the moment?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    Apparantly he's not talking about other riders at all. Only the team doctors etc.

And his lawyer has said he's not going to be paying back his €700,000 salary despite signing the UCI's bog roll pledge. Colour me surprised.

Is T-Mobile's head of communication an idiot or does he just play one on TV?

"We have known ever since Jan Ullrich [that team riders doped in 2006]," said Christian Frommert, Head of Sponsoring Communication for T-Mobile's parent company Deutsche Telekom. "This just shows the brazenness of some riders and shows the need for our new concept, with which we also have to count on such blows."

Christian, dude, here's a clue, you're doing NOTHING new. NOTHING. So the whole squad was doped in 06 but no positives. Yet you continue to use the standard anti-doping agencies and tests which didn't show diddly last year.

Wow, I think I did a week without moaning about T-Mobile "anti-doping as advertising" - I'll get it out of my system soon.
  • lucretius
    lucretius Posts: 143
    Surely if he is naming doctors then those people are putting the health of their patients at risk and should lose their license to practice?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    lucretius wrote:
    Surely if he is naming doctors then those people are putting the health of their patients at risk and should lose their license to practice?
    Arguably they could say that they were trying to top up run down hormone levels etc, and so trying to help riders.

That said, clinical studies show EPO use for all but the most severely ill chemo and kidney patients significantly increases the incidence of heart disease and cancer, so anyone dishing out EPO - the drug of choice for dopers and doctors - can't argue this.

I've already bought some popcorn so I can watch another Oscar-winning performance from Rolf "I wore a blindfold for a decade" Aldag.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    iainf72 wrote:
    Apparantly he's not talking about other riders at all. Only the team doctors etc.

And his lawyer has said he's not going to be paying back his €700,000 salary despite signing the UCI's bog roll pledge. Colour me surprised.

"We have known ever since Jan Ullrich [that team riders doped in 2006]," said Christian Frommert, Head of Sponsoring Communication for T-Mobile's parent company Deutsche Telekom. "This just shows the brazenness of some riders and shows the need for our new concept, with which we also have to count on such blows."

Christian, dude, here's a clue, you're doing NOTHING new. NOTHING. So the whole squad was doped in 06 but no positives. Yet you continue to use the standard anti-doping agencies and tests which didn't show diddly last year.

Wow, I think I did a week without moaning about T-Mobile "anti-doping as advertising" - I'll get it out of my system soon.
    I vote for this as "post of the week". :)
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    ianf72, did T-Mobile overcharge you on your monthly bill once ? :wink:
  • LangerDan
    iainf72 wrote:

The first and second statements are linked. If Stinky squeals, he'll expect to get a reduction in his ban from 2 to 1 years. If he only gets a one year ban, then he is exempt from the provision of the UCI pledge as the payback is a consequence of a two-year ban. The validity (or otherwise) of the UCI pledge will remain unchallenged.
  • iainf72
    Bwahahahaha.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... oct26news3

How FILTHY were T-Mobile last year?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    iainf72 wrote:
    Bwahahahaha.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... oct26news3

How FILTHY were T-Mobile last year?

Kloeden doesn't surpise me...remember that absurd 3 up TTT he did with the 2 other dopers at the 2000 Olympics....Rogers has to explain too...he has Millar's 03 world title, would be dissapointing if he were involved in pre TDF 06 visits to said clinic
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Thing is though has anything changed now, the evidence suggests probably not.

Why oh why is anyone surprised, I'd be way more surprised if someone in the pro peloton was shown to be clean!!
  • Titanium
    Titanium Posts: 2,056
    I've no doubt some of their guys were blood doping. But the same goes for plenty of other riders in the Tour. Paraphrasing Kimmage, I reckon one of the top-20 on GC was clean.

T-Mobile keep making excuses, yet they employ many of the same backroom staff, little has changed, except the PR. The same soigneurs are there, Rolf Aldag is there. They even wanted to go back in time and recruit a disgraced Zabel to "teach" Ciolek.

But what's better to apologise for the past in a small way, or to deny everything like so many other riders? At least T-Mobile admit a problem, so many other teams do nothing.
  • I'm surprised to a certain extent. Not surprised by the cheating per se, more the disregard for personal safety. A blood transfusion is not something you do at the drop of a hat, they're bloody dangerous things (pardon pun) and really should be a last resort for medical necessity. Not just another training mechanism.

I imagine the dangers are lessened if it's your own blood, but Vino and Kash and Hamilton before them showed that it's not always done like that.

Cheating by applying a testosterone gel or popping an amphetamine slimming pill is one thing, but such widespread use of serious, complex and inherently dangerous procedures like transfusions is madness.

Rant over!

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • iainf72
    Titanium wrote:
    But what's better to apologise for the past in a small way, or to deny everything like so many other riders? At least T-Mobile admit a problem, so many other teams do nothing.

Depends, what do you find more palatable - Hypocrites or plain vanilla liars?
  • andyp wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I vote for this as "post of the week". :)

I'll second that. It had everything, comedy and anger.
  • I'm looking forward to the wotsit hitting the fan at T-Mobile as everyone realises that their 'new' attitude is erm, well, not all that erm, new. Iain you might yet get your revenge or whatever it is called for being right.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Schadenfreude? :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:
    Schadenfreude? :D

Nah, I'm not happy about it. :D

It's hard being right all the time :P
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    No one will be surprised by blood doping at T-Mob, but to keep on doing it after having chucked out your team leader for the exact same offense takes quite some doing. If you've got balls of steel like that, why not use them out on the road and race cleanly and boldly?
  • DaveyL
    Because balls of steel count for nowt when the road goes up and your power to weight ratio is not good enough?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    In fact the steel balls are maybe part of the power-to-weight ratio problem...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    It gets better

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=3080846

I'm still curious how you do blood doping without your team knowing.....
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    More here too;

http://cyclingfansanonymous.blogspot.com/

It's not looking good for T-Mobile's image. Again. :roll:

Grasp the nettle guys, you've got a problem but you still have the opportunity to solve it and retain a modicum of credibility.
  • LangerDan
    I think time has come for T-Mobile ( the sponsor) rather than T-Mobile (the team) to grasp the nettle. Take your money and go. Your team, from Stapleton down, is incapable of taking this seriously.
  • iainf72
    LangerDan wrote:
    I think time has come for T-Mobile ( the sponsor) rather than T-Mobile (the team) to grasp the nettle. Take your money and go. Your team, from Stapleton down, is incapable of taking this seriously.

I reckon they'll hang around as long as they get mileage out of it. The difference between CSC and T-Mobile is amazing. CSC fork out a shed load of money on the testing program but don't really go on about it while T-Mobile talk about themselves as if they're the saviours of the sport.

Consider all that's happened this year and then read this.

http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/11681.0.html
  • iainf72
    andyp wrote:
    More here too;

http://cyclingfansanonymous.blogspot.com/

It's not looking good for T-Mobile's image. Again. :roll:

Rogers must be feeling very very uncomfortable.

Prepatore last year = Dr Ferrari. Possibly this year too because it's clear PS was still working with him.

And lets face it, Mick is nowhere near as good as he used to be against the watch.
  • LangerDan
    iainf72 wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

I reckon they'll hang around as long as they get mileage out of it. The difference between CSC and T-Mobile is amazing. CSC fork out a shed load of money on the testing program but don't really go on about it while T-Mobile talk about themselves as if they're the saviours of the sport.

Consider all that's happened this year and then read this.

http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/11681.0.html

How much is a new screen for a laptop ?- I've just stuck my fist through mine.

It would not surprise me in the slightest to see Stapleton forgiving Heinrich and inviting him back amongst the other sinners. Perhaps Stapleton is the Second Coming?
  • Well, their PR push was a necessity in Germany - but I think they may have misjudged it badly by not addressing whatever beans Sinkewitz is spilling. The Germans aren't going to like it at all (especially the media). They might not be able to spin their way out of this one.

It will be interesting to see how those implicated react, particularly Kloden and Rogers. I expect they will start with denial and hide behind lawyers. And a bit more of a spotlight ought to be shone on Bettini and chums too.

Given the pickle T-Mobile are in and the Noah's Ark of alleged doping that is allegedly Astana there must be a few chattering teeth at the UCI and ASO. I still don't know why ASO offered Astana a tour spot last year - they gave them a wildcard didn't they? Will T-Mobile escape censure over the Sinkewitz allegations if/when they come out? Will they still have a sponsor or a Pro Tour licence this time next year or next month?
  • iainf72
    Given the pickle T-Mobile are in and the Noah's Ark of alleged doping that is allegedly Astana there must be a few chattering teeth at the UCI and ASO. I still don't know why ASO offered Astana a tour spot last year - they gave them a wildcard didn't they

Knowing what you know now, the question is, are Astana that bad? Or are they just the public face of the sports general shame?

If I was T-Mobile's senior management (the business, not the team), I'd be sacking the management of the team now and talking to Werner Franke about some help. If he thought something could be salvaged from the team, continue under his guidance (assuming he would help), if not, cut and invest in the German national floorball team.
  • DaveyL
    You can rest easy, ian, there is no team-backed doping at T-Mobile this year, according to Pat:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... /oct27news

"No team doping at T-Mobile in 2007, Sinkewitz said

Patrik Sinkewitz may have said that there was organized doping on Team T-Mobile during the Tour de France in 2006 but he has also said that it has stopped. In addition, the team issued a statement concerning the charges.

According to Peter Barth, chairman of the German cycling federation's disciplinary committee, told the dpa that Sinkewitz said that "as far as he could tell, the administration of doping at T-Mobile has stopped" as of last season.

T-Mobile spokesman Stefan Wagner told Cyclingnews: "The reported comments of Patrik Sinkewitz underline the need for change in cycling and the T-Mobile Team in 2006. When we assumed control of the team for the 2007 season, we made dramatic changes in management, practices and people, and implemented a strong code of conduct and an anti-doping program. These changes continue as we prepare for the 2008 season." "
    Le Blaireau (1)