fork/headset compatibility & what winter fork?

jkm
jkm Posts: 80
edited October 2007 in Workshop
I have just about plucked up the courage to order myself a xacd titanium frame from china. The frame comes with a plain head tube for a standard 1 1/8in headset. I had hoped to get a Chris king steelset to fit in this.

I need to buy some winter forks to fit this frame. they must be winter ones compatible with 57mm deep drop brakes as I want to fit mudguards to the frame.

The problem is all the forks on sale seem to be for integrated headsets, will these fit a standard headset as well?
I have tried Sheldon brown but for once even he won’t answer my question!!!!

Can anyone recommend a decent winter fork? I will probably want to leave about 50-60mm of steerer showing for comfort, would I be better off with forks with an alloy steerer?

All I have seen so far is the ITM vista winter.

Comments

• morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    I've got these on my kinesis Racelight TK. Seem good. They have clearance for deep drop brakes and mudguard eyes.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=20767
  • I also have the Racelight T forks (Carbon Steerer). They are a good fork designed for 57mm brakes at their maximum reach. Easily clearence for 28mm tyres and full guards, probably 32mm + guards though I havent tried it.

They are designed for integrated headsets but should look OK on a standard 1 1/8 inch Aheadset.

The ends of my integrated headtube are flared so that they blend into the fork. Putting the headset cups into a plain headtube turns it into a flared tube similar to the integrated one.

The diameter of the Racelight T fork crown is about 46mm so if you use a headset where the lower cup diameter flares out to about 46mm it should look OK.

Isaac used to make a 1 1/8 (non integrated + alloy steerer) fork for 57mm brakes and mudguards. The clearence is just enough for 28mm tyres and guards. You might be able to get new old stock or second hand.