Ghent 6 Day

APIII
APIII Posts: 2,010
edited November 2007 in Track
Anyone going this year, or been previously?
It's my first time and not sure what to expect. I understand it runs into the early hours. Is it full on action all night or is there a 'peak' period which shouldn't be missed?

Thanks

Comments

• Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    http://www.sport.be/z6sdaagse/2007/nl/programma/

Programme there in dutch, but easy enough to work out what's happening when.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    I've been a few times. My tips would be;

- avoid the mosh pit that is the centre of the track (although you should experience it once for 5 mins then get the hell out)
    - book a seat so you'll get to see the racing properly, you can do this on the site Ste_S has linked above
    - the racing varies in intensity and it's only the madison races that really matter in terms of the overall classification
    - keep your eyes open. I watched, aghast, as my most of my party walked past Eddy Merckx without even clocking that it was him!
    - avoid the pit in the centre of the track (that one's worth repeating)

It's a great event so enjoy it.
  • APIII
    andyp wrote:
    - avoid the mosh pit that is the centre of the track

Oh crap. I've got tickets for the centre on Sunday :cry: Got good seats for Friday, so hope that will make up for it.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    APIII wrote:
    Oh crap. I've got tickets for the centre on Sunday :cry: Got good seats for Friday, so hope that will make up for it.
    It's definitely worth experiencing once so hopefully you'll enjoy it. The track in Gent is very short so watching the racing from the centre is almost impossible as you get dizzy spinning around trying to follow it. This doesn't seem to bother those intent on getting as much Jupiler down their necks as possible so it might be best to join them. :wink:
  • APIII
    andyp wrote:
    This doesn't seem to bother those intent on getting as much Jupiler down their necks as possible so it might be best to join them. :wink:

Now that sounds like a plan!
  • 4candles
    4candles Posts: 240
    APIII wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    - avoid the mosh pit that is the centre of the track

The middle isn't that bad... its the place to be on Sunday anycase as your right in the thick of the action you can get some good autographs too...

Listen out for the announcer doing the Belgian footy results on saturday if Gent win there's usually a big cheer.. and watch out for the riders lifting their front wheels over the timing strip on the timed laps.. and drink plenty of beer its good to rehydrate !!

enjoy yourself
    ed.