Drizzly, depressing, horrible grey weather

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
An American former colleague of mine (Californian) once complained about the kind of weather that we in London are 'enjoying' today - grey, horrible, damp, just yuk. Horrid to cycle in as roads greasy and peds extra-suicidal.

I made her depression worse by saying that this kind of weather "corrodes the soul" :twisted:

And last night I was cut up at some light by a fellow cyclist whilst trying to avoid an RLJ'ing bus...result: one extremely smashed up front 'guard, luckily nothing more.

I blame the weather.

Boo hoo hoo :cry::cry:

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103
    Bad luck Sam but at least you didn't get smashed up.

The Scots have an excellent word for this type of weather - dreek.
  • I quite enjoyed it this morning. At least it wasn't too cold. Even when I nearly lost it on a line of wet cobbles while turning into Hanover Gate at speed
    <a>road</a>
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    And they say it's grim up North..!!

Lovely ride in this morning, dry roads, slight mist over the hills and fields and very mild for this time of year... Heaven....
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    SecretSam wrote:
    An American former colleague of mine (Californian) once complained about the kind of weather that we in London are 'enjoying' today - grey, horrible, damp, just yuk.

Compared to having 1 million people evacuted for forest fires!!!! I think I would prefer the conditions here!!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I thought that this morning was wonderful. That said, I've only seen it through the windows so far - "working" at home today. It is refreshing not to have to keep an eye out over one's shoulder for the boss while passing time on BikeRadar :lol:
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Gussio wrote:
    I thought that this morning was wonderful. That said, I've only seen it through the windows so far - "working" at home today. It is refreshing not to have to keep an eye out over one's shoulder for the boss while passing time on BikeRadar :lol:

Ah! The joys of WFH!!! Those were the days... :roll:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Andy....
    andyp wrote:

I think you will find it is dreech......like loch.....not with a K
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Gussio wrote:
    I thought that this morning was wonderful.

Me too, I rode a quick 6 or 7 miles to collect a hire van and it was lovely. Moving house at the moment, tiring!!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    BentMikey wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    I thought that this morning was wonderful.

Me too, I rode a quick 6 or 7 miles to collect a hire van and it was lovely. Moving house at the moment, tiring!!

Good all round work out - upper body and lower body! Hope that the move isn't a stressful one and that Mini Mikey is packing all his own toys.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103
    cee wrote:
    Andy....
    andyp wrote:

I think you will find it is dreech......like loch.....not with a K
    :oops:

I pronounced it correctly, just can't spell it. Honest. :wink:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Almost dark enough to really need my lights this morning, although have been using them for weeks.... can't wait until Mon evening's commute home... dark whooooo !!!!!

Used to hate this time of year when I commuted by car, as there would be loads of crashes on the motorways as the idiot's didn't adjust for the light/time change !