No time bonuses at the 08 Tour

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2007 in Pro race
Good move! I'm not a fan of the time bonus
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• says who?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Me too, they distort the race artificially.

Also on Rasmussen, Prudhomme said "he's doesn't have a team and I'd struggle to imagine that a team (wanting to ride the Tour) would sign him." In other words, hire this man at your peril.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • I'm with Iain, good move. Should make things fairer and easier.
  • Great stuff. Good move. Looks like the lead will change hands plenty until the mountains then.
  • Radsman
    Radsman Posts: 122
    The game starts again, if Rasmussen did something wrong suspend him. Otherwise, let him participate. There are rules and punishments for a reason.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Radsman wrote:
    The game starts again, if Rasmussen did something wrong suspend him. Otherwise, let him participate. There are rules and punishments for a reason.
    I disagree. The reputation of the sport of cycling is in the gutter and unless Rasmussen is prepared to submit himself for regular testing to prove he's clean then ASO have every right to exclude him.

I dream of a Tour where people talk about what happens in the race.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Cycling reminds of some Hollywood film.

For years the criminals have prospered under the lax reign of police chief Hein Verbruggen and his sidekick Pat "Chief Wiggum" McQuaid. Whole races have vanished and teams have folded as sponsors flee. Now it's time for Christian "Dirty Harry" Prudhomme to take over as the new sheriff, to clean up the dirty town and kick some criminal butt.

OK, not a perfect scenario but given the current rules are so bad, if ASO want to take the law into their own hands, I'm willing to support them.

Not that they get things right all the time, far from it, for example instead of dope-testing 5 riders per stage, they should be testing 15 or 50. And they naively invited Astana with a wildcard last summer, etc etc
  • Radsman
    Radsman Posts: 122
    I believe in law and order not rumor and suspicion. Rasmussen may be a bad example but Bettini and the World Championships was a bit silly. I don't think this silliness is good for cycling either. There is a proper way and an improper to rid cycling of dopers.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    ASOs interest will be those of ASO - the cleanliness of pro cycling is only of interest to them if it impacts on their bottom line and brand value. An "apparently" clean, exciting race (even if the participants are actually up their eyeballs in whatever they liberated from the local pharmacist) suits ASO more than a race where cheats are exposed. The public positive tests and exclusions in this years tour are probably encouraging signs of progress against cheating but an absolute disaster for ASO, particularly as you've pointed out, they invited the biggest offenders.

Prudhomme may be "Dirty Harry" but could equally be Harry Potter, Harry Hill or Harry the Horny Hippo.

Our enemy's enemy isn't always our friend.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'