Juicy 3s - just not enough stopping power

jame5
jame5 Posts: 14
edited October 2007 in MTB beginners
I bought my bike about 5 months ago with Juicy 3's fitted. They bedded in nicely but they just don't seem to have the bite I want. :( Am I right in saying there isn't much adjustment wise I can make to juicy 3s? Shall I just chuck them in the bin and jam my foot in the fork to stop? I'm sure these brakes are as good as my old V-brakes on my old bike.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have you contaninated the pads?

clean the discs and pur new pads in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jame5
    I've used nothing but water to wash my bike down after rides....but when I took my bike back to the LBS to have the forks changed under warranty I did get the bike back with the feeling the brakes needed bedding again.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    I use Juicy 3's.

Took a little time for the pads to bed in. Also adjusted the levers out a fair way.

Now I can stand the bike on it's front wheel or lock the back at 30mph.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • jame5
    FSR_XC wrote:
    I use Juicy 3's.

Took a little time for the pads to bed in. Also adjusted the levers out a fair way.

Now I can stand the bike on it's front wheel or lock the back at 30mph.

I certainly can't do that. The back brakes are fine. Maybe i should swap the pads from front to back. At least I now know Juicy 3's can do the job and maybe it's more likely to be an adjustment or contamination problem.
  • nicklouse
    jame5 wrote:
    I've used nothing but water to wash my bike down after rides....but when I took my bike back to the LBS to have the forks changed under warranty I did get the bike back with the feeling the brakes needed bedding again.

so we are just talking about the front brake? ir sounds like it was not reset correctly.

have a chat with the LBS.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • jame5
    nicklouse wrote:
    jame5 wrote:

so we are just talking about the front brake? ir sounds like it was not reset correctly.

have a chat with the LBS.

The front is the problem. The back will lock up if a lot of pressure is applied. I'm about to go out for a ride so maybe i should ride in the direction of the bike shop
  • nicklouse
    indeed that would be a good idea. but before you go apply the brake and see if the disc moves sideways by the pads.