Proving Newton Wrong

nickcuk
nickcuk Posts: 275
edited October 2007 in The bottom bracket
If e = mc squared, as we approach the speed of light, mass is supposed to decrease.

Well, my weight is staying the same but I'm getting faster. Explain that.

Comments

• *pulls on pedantic trousers*

Einstein, not Newton.

Mass, not weight.

How do you measure your mass at top speed?

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    nickcuk wrote:
    If e = mc squared, as we approach the speed of light, mass is supposed to decrease.

As you approach the speed of light your relativistic mass (appears to) increases
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    nickcuk wrote:

Well, my weight is staying the same but I'm getting faster. Explain that.

But if you lost weight and had a spill would you hit the floor sooner or later? :lol: At least you wouldn't feel the apple fall on your head because of your cycle helmet.
  • No, the closer you get to the speed of light, the heavier your relatives get. Generally.
    There's always one more idiot than you bargained for.
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    So as my wife gets heavier, the faster I speed away from her ?
  • as long as she's using a Dyson. Well, I think it can be any vacuum.
    There's always one more idiot than you bargained for.
  • trailtrash wrote:
    No, the closer you get to the speed of light, the heavier your relatives get. Generally.
    I though that was Specially, not Generally?
  • bigmug
    bigmug Posts: 58
    There was a young time trailer named Dwight who could cycle much faster than light, he set out one day in a relative why - and returned on the previous night!
  • bigmug
    bigmug Posts: 58
    ....and morefor those that are very very bored the formula for calculating relativistic mass increase is;

New mass = old mass times 1/ the square root of (1- velocity squared / speed of light squared). So clearly as you approach light speed the bit in the last brackets becomes 1-1=0, and 1 divided by 0 is infinity!! All the carbon fibre in the world (or beyond) could not deal with that.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    trailtrash wrote:
    No, the closer you get to the speed of light, the heavier your relatives get. Generally.

what's my family got to do with this?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666