Has Anyone Used Conti GP4000's As A Winter Tyre

stephec
stephec Posts: 795
edited October 2007 in Workshop
If you have can you give me your adxice please? I'm not sure if I should put my current pair in to hibernation.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    STEPHEC wrote:
    If you have can you give me your adxice please? I'm not sure if I should put my current pair in to hibernation.

I'm (perhaps was planning to) use GP4000s, but I had a run in with a fiesta yesterday meaning I've got no bike for at least a few weeks.

I've the 25mm version of them, and I can't see any reason why not to use them during the winter.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    I've used them over the last 2 winter and have them to be great, I've only had a couple of slips, but nothing too big. I've ordered some (they should arrive today!!) to stick on my bike for winter, they are replacing the Stelvio's that came on my Focus, which have only managed 1500 miles and are already shot to bits!!!!
  • OnTow
    OnTow Posts: 130
    I ran reflective-sidewall GP4000 25c tyres from Jan 1 last year, pretty much every weekend on rutted backroads past farms etc. (Plus pannier load and my c.80Kg hulk).

They were fine, and saved me a couple of times when stealth kerbs came up a bit quick when taking corners!

I did find them a tad slippy on a couple of summer weekends when the rain was torrential and running in streams on wet greasy steep downhill sections - so wet that my "waterproof" computer got condensated, and just after long dry spells.

i.e. Shouldn't be an issue!

People either love Contis or hate them.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    If you like riding fast over winter, why not. It's more that the rims wear out fast in the winter grime so many have a second pair of wheels for winter riding and tend to stick heavier, cheaper tyres on these...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I find GP4000s to have poor handling when it's really wet - Michelin Krylions in 25mm have better grip and are far tougher IME - particularly against sidwall cuts which are a notorious Conti weakness. I can get a couple of winters out of a pair of Krylions whereas a pair of Contis are lucky to last a season because they cut far too easily.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • fixiebob
    fixiebob Posts: 222
    I use gp4000 in summer and had a couple of scares in the wet.
    In the winter i use shwalbe blizzard on my fixie great in the wet and a lot cheaper than gp's save your fast tyres for the summer.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Been running my GP4000's all year. Found them to be great. I've found grip to be fine, although my only frame of reference is the GP3000's I used previously year round for over four years, again without any problems. In fact, I've only had 1 puncture in 5 years, so reluctant to try anything else.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    The GP4000's do cut easily, but I've found this to be cosmetic (ie the coloured bit) My last pair of GP's did me around 4000 miles before my first puncture. Also, as I've said before, they come in pretty colours!!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I use 'em all round and love the new "black Chilli" ones as well. Had very few probs with them.
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Yeah - I have 4000-S on my "race" bike. Very nice - Much grippier.
    I've only ridden them short distance in the dry though, so couldn't comment on their wet weather capability / puncture resistance.

I agree with Monty about the sidewalls - In fact, I thought I'd read somewhere something about the sidewalls being deliberately soft to improve the ride quality.

Not had a single p*ncture with them (4000 and little used 4000-S) all season (he says, checking where he left his levers). Yes, the tread does cut on sharp objects, however the Vectran "breaker" AKA canvas has not been penetrated yet - including when I was left with no choice but to ride through some bits of glass.

4000-S is only available in 23c right now, and only th 25c 4000 has the reflective sidewall option.
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    Used GP 4000 23 mm tyres on Fixed, Audax and Race Bikes all the year round with out any real problems.
  • pedalrog
    pedalrog Posts: 633
    I use them all year round with absolutely no problems at all.
  • BrenD
    BrenD Posts: 260
    I wouldn't use them again - in the grease you'll be all over the place. Have had a pair of Krylion's on my trainer since last January & they're still going strong - grip well & only 2 or 3 punctures in 4000+ miles.
  • The deciding factor in my view is how easy are they to get on and off the rims if they do puncture. From my experience of GP4000s they are a pig to get on and off. There is no way I'd want that hassle with numb frozen fingers in the depths of winter fifty miles from home!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The deciding factor in my view is how easy are they to get on and off the rims if they do puncture. From my experience of GP4000s they are a pig to get on and off. There is no way I'd want that hassle with numb frozen fingers in the depths of winter fifty miles from home!

I think it's a rim/tyre combination, rather than just the tyre. I've never had any problems getting the folding (no experience with wired) contis onto my rims.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • stephec
    stephec Posts: 795
    A big thanks to everyone for your replies, I think I may save the Conti's and keep my Blizzards through the winter.

:):):)