Joining a club - advise

coltrane
coltrane Posts: 74
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Been road biking for about 3 months following years of MTB and am considering joining the local club. I do however have reservations and fears about keeping up and feeling slow, recently I was belting along when a club rider glided past me and I thought he must be on a motorbike. I am currently doing about 3 - 4 rides a week, generally 2 - 3 of 10 - 15 miles and then a longer ride at the weekend of 30 - 40 miles. Yesterday I did 35 miles in 2hrs at 17.2 mph. Are there any experienced riders or club riders out there who could advise whether it worth me joining now or perhaps getting a winter and spring under my belt to increase mileage and speed?

Comments

• cart71
    cart71 Posts: 21
    i have just recently joined my local club its a good time now to join a club as its end of season and most people are doing recovery rides and taking it relativly easy,about december january time speeds pick up for training :evil: so my advice is join now winter miles summer smiles :lol:
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    If you can do 35miles at 17.2 mph you should be fine, Most clubs will have different rides to suit differing abilities of rider, and the slower ride will normally be at the pace of the slowest rider.

Most people on club runs won't be in any hurry at this time of year anyway as the racing season has ended
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I agree with Ste_S. Don't hesitate! You'll easily survive on most club's rides. Just make sure you're not joining a bunch of fast roadmen or a 'training bash'. You'll be easily strong enough to ride with most ordinary club cyclists. Which club are you thinking of joining?

Ruth
  • Hopefully there will be a choice of clubs for you - most cater for all rider levels but some can be more racing oriented, while others veer a bit more to the social side of things. It's a balance - visit their web sites and talk to the club secretaries to get a feel for each. Most will allow you to join in for a day or two to see what it's like.

But joining a club is a great idea.
  • NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    Just 'piggy-backing' on this one as I've always fancied joining a club as well but have always been nervous.

My concern would be that I have two young kids so would struggle to commit to a weekly ride.

I play in a basketball team and all the new players say the same; that they'd fancied playing for ages but were a bit nervous but, as exisiting members, we're just happy to see new people coming in. I guess cycling (or any sport) must be the same.

Is there a list of clubs on-line? I'd be looking in the Manchester/Salford/N Cheshire area.
  • Pagem
    Pagem Posts: 244
    Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.
  • NFMC wrote:
    Just 'piggy-backing' on this one as I've always fancied joining a club as well but have always been nervous.

My concern would be that I have two young kids so would struggle to commit to a weekly ride.

I play in a basketball team and all the new players say the same; that they'd fancied playing for ages but were a bit nervous but, as exisiting members, we're just happy to see new people coming in. I guess cycling (or any sport) must be the same.

Is there a list of clubs on-line? I'd be looking in the Manchester/Salford/N Cheshire area.

Can't help re: yr area but at my club in SW London/Surrey, we have at least two groupd go out on a Sun. The youngsters go out and do 60-70 miles at "training pace" and there is what i call the "dad's" group. Most are married, couple of kids, have a pass-out until about 12.30/1.00 and then get back to carve or cook the Sunday lunch.

Try and find a group/club like that.
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • I live in in the East Midlands near Derby so I suppose anythin in the Derby/Nottingham area.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    NFMC wrote:

Can't help re: yr area but at my club in SW London/Surrey, we have at least two groupd go out on a Sun. The youngsters go out and do 60-70 miles at "training pace" and there is what i call the "dad's" group. Most are married, couple of kids, have a pass-out until about 12.30/1.00 and then get back to carve or cook the Sunday lunch.

Addiscombe?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240

Which club is that? I'm in SW London and have been contemplating joining a club and I'm looking for one which does a 3 or so hour one on a Sunday morning just for fun rather than training!

I assume fatherhood isn't a pre-requisite of joining the 'Dads' group! I wasn't planning on making that much of a committment.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    NFMC wrote:

http://www.wheelers.org/

I'll be looking to join up in the new year.....
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Most clubs have social runs where they ride at the pace of the slowest rider. When they come to hills, they spread out but re group on the top of the hill. You should have no problem with keeping up with the group, you will even find that there are riders slower then you.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    p.s. don't worry about not being able to turn up at every weekend/ social event/weekly meeting either. I sometimes go for months missing the club run (either due to holidays, family stuff, racing etc) and don't get told off. Turn up when you like.
  • Go for it an join,

The best way to improve your speed is to train at a higher level and riding with a club offers this. Don't worry about being slower than others you might be surprised and everyone starts somewhere, a good club will support new riders and wait with them if they fall behind.

You will improve twice as fast if you ride with people above your ability.

So, get on the web at www.britishcycling.org.uk and find a local club. Pump up your tyres and get out this weekend and enjoy yourself.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    cart71 wrote:
    i have just recently joined my local club its a good time now to join a club as its end of season and most people are doing recovery rides and taking it relativly easy,about december january time speeds pick up for training :evil: so my advice is join now winter miles summer smiles :lol:
    I'd second this. If you leave it until it's got nice and warm in early May, you'll find that even touring clubs are at the peak of their fitness & enthusiasm
  • Woolfie
    Woolfie Posts: 34
    Go for it - Clubs are full of all sorts of people interested in all aspects of cycling not just pure road racers. You should be able to get what you want out of it - don't worry about the committment of weekly rides - most of my clubmates drop out and come back depending on holidays, work and other committments all the time - the thing is its there when you fancy it :)

Perfect time of year also to join in as riders are definitely more interested in just riding for the fun of it at the moment.
    Bakewell Toybox
    Bakewell
    Derbyshire

www.welovetoys.co.uk
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    coltrane wrote:
    I live in in the East Midlands near Derby so I suppose anythin in the Derby/Nottingham area.
    How about VC Long Eaton? From what I know of them they're a good all-round traditional club. (I may be mistaken but I think a friend of mine was saying the Derby Mercury club runs are a bit nippy.)

Ruth
  • Thanks Ruth VC long eaton is my local club I often see and chat (well the obligatory nodd) to them on rides. Out with a couple of friends from loughborough in a few weeks so will check that out. Found some very good routes on this site.