GT Avalanche Pro

yorkshireone
yorkshireone Posts: 5
edited October 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

Well I just purchased my first bike in about 10 years, a 2006 GT Avalanche Pro. Got it for an absolute steal so I couldn't resist. Just wanted to get your thoughts on it really? Im a total newb when it comes to trail riding etc, but I was told that this was a fairly well specced bike and the Avalanche 1.0 Discs seem pretty well thought of...

SPEC

Frame GT Triple Triangle design 7005 Kinesis Superlite butted aluminum with pressure formed downtube, zero stack headtube. Disc compatible with removeable der. Hanger
Fork Rock Shock Recon 327 U-Turn
Crankset Truvativ STYLO TEAM 44,32,22 7050 forged arms w/outboard bearing system
Bottom Bracket Truvativ outboard oversized bearing
Pedals Crank Bros Candy
Front Derailleur New Shimano Deore LX
Rear Derailleur New Shimano Deore XT
Shifters New Shimano Deore LX
Rear Cogs SRAM Nine speed index cassette 12-32
Chain Shimano Nine Speed
Rims WTB Speed Disc
Tyres Tioga Yellow Kirin Front 26 x 2.3 / Blue Dragon 26 x 2.1 rear
Front Hub New Shimano Deore LX
Rear Hub New Shimano Deore LX
Brake Levers New Shimano Deore LX Hydraulic
Handlebar GT 6061 Butted Alum Adventure bar with 50mm rise and 7 degree bend
Saddle SDG New Bel Air

Your opinions? :)

Cheers
Jamie

Comments

• anyone? :(
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Don't know the bike personally but had a look at the spec and it looks like pretty good value for money - hard wearing kit that will last.
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    yeh should last a while, good spec and excellent entry level bike
  • However, the frame will get scratched and scraped to buggery if you so much as look at it. Why can't bike manufacturers use decent hardwearing paint thesedays?

grr

Shipjack (disgruntled Avalanche owner)
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    bike sounds good to me! yeah mines getting chipped up a little but they're just battle scars i say.
  • not bothered about a few scratches!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Very rare that you hear any bad reports about GT, even their bargain basement models. My mates girlfriend has an Avalanche 3.0 and she has less issues with it that he does with his Specialized FSR!

Just one thing - you've taken the plunge and bought the bike. Now get out and ride the thing like it's going out of fashion. Who cares what anyone else thinks of it as long as you are having fun and getting fit! :D
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • yeah too true, its not delivered until wednesday though, i cant wait!!
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Great bike, frame is bombproof and good specification throughout.

I commute a 1000 miles a month off road on my GT. With regular maintenance and replace parts as needed it will run for ever.

I am sure you will get many years of pleasure riding.
  • Had mine for just over a year and use it twice a week.

It's pretty bomb proof apart from the brakes which seem to slightly sieze the pistons causing rubbing. I've cleaned them about 4/5 times so far.
    Nothing to do with the amount of crap I ride through.

I've been over the bars more times than I care to remember and it keeps coming back for more with nothing bent or broken.

The rear hub became loose after a year's worth of riding which was sorted at the first service I gave it (a year later).

Get some decent tyres if you dont have them (panaracer/Bonty) and you'll be sorted.

All in all a good bike which will do anything you ask of it and only limited by the owner!!!