Are there any 'how to change a tube' guides out there?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,572
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
Hello all,

just had my first puncture, and bizarrely, have never had to change one before! :oops:

Want to swap a new tube in, and then repair the other one at my leisure.

Are there any nice easy clear guides out there about the best way to get the tyre off, how to check the tube, and what I need to do to make sure the tyre is clear from whatever caused the original puncture?

I had to drive into work this morning, as only discovered the back tyre was flat (Completely) as I was about to leave :evil:

I shall tackle it tonight when I get home, so any tips gratefully received :D

Cheers

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• daniel_b
    Cheers for that, some useful stuff on there.

Silly question, but when you use the levers to get the tyre off one side, so you can get the tube out, do you need to take the tyre completely off the rim to check for sharp bits, or is it ok to check for these whilst it is still half on the rim?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • you don't have to but it is usually easiest to do so I find

I do however find it hard to belive that you have 4 bikes in your sig and you've never changed a tube?? *troll alert*
    <a>road</a>
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Daniel, have a look at the videos on the front page of the site - there's a useful one for you on there - http://www.bikeradar.com - click 'more' and scroll down.
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    you don't have to but it is usually easiest to do so I find

I do however find it hard to belive that you have 4 bikes in your sig and you've never changed a tube?? *troll alert*

You'd be surprised how many people get their p*******s repaired at their LBS.

a serious case of small cogs
  • daniel_b
    Thankyou all, and no definitely not a troll.

I have 7 bikes within my household, but up until last year it was only 1, and I think the one time I did have a puncture, my brother changed it for me - I've obviously been very lucky!

The 2 I acquired last year then went into storage in Spring of this year for 6 months, and only came out in August, and the other 4 were bought this summer, so I dare say I will be having my fair share of punctures to repair in due course........

My commute, only 2 miles, is along cyclepath/road and towpath, does anyone think for this short distance, I might want to look at solid tubeless tyres?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    M.Cole wrote:
    Daniel, have a look at the videos on the front page of the site - there's a useful one for you on there - http://www.bikeradar.com - click 'more' and scroll down.

Brilliant, I think that's what i was looking for.

Thanks

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • good god no, those solid tyres are the devil's work

apologies for my baseless slur on your good character
    <a>road</a>
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    If you want absolute puncture proofing, and don't mind heavier tyres then go for a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Pluses.
  • daniel_b
    No probs EP :D

Those tyres look good, but at £40 a pair, i thikn I will hold on, the tyres on my commuter are brand new, so i reckon I will wait until they are suitable tired, and then look at some of the more puncture resistant varieties.

Allegedly the ones on there are puncture resistant, kevlar is definitely mentioned, but then they are Halfords own brand I think, X-rated or some such weirdness.

I defo wouldn't mind heavier tyres, it's a heavyish bike to start with, with mudguards, and a rack, and my route to work isn't hilly, so a bit more weight for more durability is an easy one for me to swallow.

Thanks all.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • redjedi
    redjedi Posts: 44
    Daniel B wrote:
    No probs EP :D

Those tyres look good, but at £40 a pair, i thikn I will hold on, the tyres on my commuter are brand new, so i reckon I will wait until they are suitable tired, and then look at some of the more puncture resistant varieties.

Allegedly the ones on there are puncture resistant, kevlar is definitely mentioned, but then they are Halfords own brand I think, X-rated or some such weirdness.

I defo wouldn't mind heavier tyres, it's a heavyish bike to start with, with mudguards, and a rack, and my route to work isn't hilly, so a bit more weight for more durability is an easy one for me to swallow.

Thanks all.

Dan

You have just purchased 4 new bikes in the last few months. Surely you can splash out £40 on a pair of tires :?
  • daniel_b

You have just purchased 4 new bikes in the last few months. Surely you can splash out £40 on a pair of tires :?

True enough, but my commuter bike only cost me £80!
    It's 2 years old, but had never been ridden, so is to all intents and purposes brand new.

Also note, that in the summer I didn't have a mortgage, and now I do :?

I'll see if this puncture was a one off, as I already have tubes to use, and if it becomes too regular an occurrence I'll change the tyres.
    Seems silly & wasteful to bin a set of tyres that have only covered about 300 miles though, should have loads of mileage left in them I would imagine?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • redjedi
    redjedi Posts: 44
    Fair enough

I had my first p******e last week. The only one in 5 months of north London commuting.

A colleague at work gave me one of his glueless patches. Highly recommended to make life easier.
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    Recommend this. Great book and theres a roady version as well

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zinn-Art-Mounta ... 655&sr=8-1
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Oh, and the first time you change a puncture, it's impossible to get the damn tyre off! I thought I had Weak Wrist Syndrome!*

*and yes, I started a new exercise regime sort it out! 8)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    toontra wrote:
    you don't have to but it is usually easiest to do so I find

You'd be surprised how many people get their p*******s repaired at their LBS.

I do this if the puncture happens when i'm close to work... it might be lazy but I can get away with saving my own time on a work day it's worth a few quid
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • daniel_b
    Right then chaps,

thanks for the advice and tips - just finished changing my first tube!

Got the tyre off comparitively easy, as suggested took it completely off.
    The puncture was very easy to find, possibly my one and only time.
    There was a piece of staple that had gone through inbetween the tread pattern and pierced the tube.

Have just replaced the tube though, will repair tuther one at a later date.

Removed the staple with moleys, part inflated the tube, and put it back in the tyre, that I had already half fitted.

Started opposite end to the valve, realised this was wrong when I watched the video again, and couldn't see how to get the last few inches of tyre into the rim.

In the video, you 'just roll it over' hmmm, maybe so, but not with these buggers.

Used some moleys as a blunt instrument to push the beading in as far as I could round the wheel, and then had to risk a pinch puncture and wedge a tyre lever in, and then it finally popped in.

Phew!

Back on the bike, inflated the tube, and I hope i won't have a flat in the morning....

Then noticed my back brakes were somewhat loose - assuming they were disturbed when i removed the wheel?
    So had to spend 5 minutes adjusting them.

Total time spent, around 50 minutes :oops: but as a complete bicycle mechanic novice, I'm hoping that isn't too shameful?!

I feel better now i know I can do it, but we'll see if it is still inflated in the morning :roll:

Thanks again

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    It was still inflated AND got me to work :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    Good man 8)

Cheers

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)