Recommend a commuter bike for winter season?

DevUK
DevUK Posts: 299
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
Hey all, this is my first topic, so go easy on me :) Appologies if this is in the wrong section...

Ok, as the topic says I'm interested in getting a commuting bike for the winter season and I'm thinking of getting it through the government cycle scheme which my employer has just signed onto (any comments on this scheme welcome!)

Currently I ride a mongose hardtail mtb but I was thinking of maybe stowing it away as its really quite bulky (like me!)

I'm not really sure what to go for or where to start. I want something thats going to be sturdy (wheels especially) as I'm not the smallest person in the world by far. For instance I have mavic 321 rims on the mongoose and they've been bomb proof. I currently commute 3 miles in either direction but I will be using it for other riding as well.

I'm also a little unsure about going with the full road setup, as I'm not sure I'll get on with the cycling position, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Any recommendations? I think the budget will be in the £500 region.

TIA :)
FCN Daily commute = 11
FCN Fixie commute = 5

Comments

• DevUK
    On reading around, what are peoples thoughts on the Giant SCR range?

To quote the website I'm looking at now:
    With their SCR (Sport Comfort Road) bikes, Giant acknowledge that fast exciting bikes need not be the preserve of supple youth, trained to ride in flat-back time trial mode every ride. Speed with comfort. Who does not want that? No wonder SCRs are our best selling Giant road bikes.

Sounds ideal ;)
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Very good by all accounts !
  • DevUK
    Went to the LBS today (Mike Vaughan's in Kenilworth) and chatted to a nice chap. We talked through various options and after trying a few bikes, and getting an idea of the right size. I ended up choosing a Trek 7.5 FX hybrid bike.

I was a bit unsure about a hybrid, but after some tweaking by the chap in the shop I was quite inpressed with how it felt to ride. I just have to process all the paperwork and get my "credit" from my employer, then go collect it in a few weeks :)
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • It may be too late to change but this may be your chance to try a dropped handlebar skinny tyre bike. The speed difference is big and a road bike will be far faster for a given effort. Brakes and gears are instantaneously to hand with STI/ergo levers and riding style becomes second nature within a couple of months of changing from MTB/hybrid set up.

Whatever you do, have fun.

Alan
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    Surprised no one has mentioned a Spesh Sirrus Elite, bang on bduget and I am sure a LBS would stick on some full mudguards for you no problem.

I have had mine ten months now, still love riding it and never had any problems.

:D
    FCN 10