Emergancy commuter kit

ben_250
ben_250 Posts: 22
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
Hi,

I am a final year product design student, currently working on an emergancy breakdown kit for commuters. I would like to know any thing that people have to deal with on a regular basis, from punctures to chain breakages. Absolutely and problems that you have faced on your daily commute,

Thanks for your help

Ben

Comments

• palinurus
    palinurus Posts: 836
    For commuting I normally carry.

A multitool, incl. a chainbreaker.

A couple tyre levers, cos the ones on the multitool look crap.

One or two tubes. Always two for longer rides.

Pump.

A bit o' rag (to wipe hands with).

A couple cable ties

In the winter- a spare rear light, an extra set of rechargeables for the front one, and one of those white Backupz jobs just in case.
  • Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    gaffa tape and zip ties, it'll get you a bit further, home, office or bike shop
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    I always have my wee multi tool (it's one with 4 allen keys and the two screw drivers). Probably a comfort thing!

Because I usually have a bag (or two), I like things to be light, rather than wee!
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    The only repair I've had to carry out on my own bike recently was to replace some chain links when one siezed up. I was carrying a chain tool and some spare links; but I could have done it without the spares by shortening the chain; no problem if I remember not to run big to big. (I could even have done it without the tool because another cyclist stopped to help and he had one.)
    I carry a couple of small ajustable spanners, two screwdrivers, a set of hexagon keys and three tyre levers and a spare tube, but I don't really expect to need any of them.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • A pump, multitool, chain tool, pen knife, tyre levers, puncture repair kit, a spare tube, and latex gloves to keep the hands clean (and because I like wearing them).
  • Pat920
    Pat920 Posts: 55
    I carry a topeak survival toolkit, spare tube, puncture repair kit, rubber gloves, tyre levers and CO2 in a saddle pouch

In many years commuting I have repaired countless punctures but never used the allen keys or screwdrivers, and used the chain splitter once (much to someone else's amazement). I used to carry a pump around for years - when I came to use it, I found it was broken.

If I was bothered to think about it, I'd find a way of keeping the spare tube permanently on the bike (under the saddle?) and then have the rest in a small, removable, waterproof bag that does not rattle and can be moved from bike to bike.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    ben_250 wrote:
    Hi,

I am a final year product design student, currently working on an emergancy breakdown kit for commuters. I would like to know any thing that people have to deal with on a regular basis, from punctures to chain breakages. Absolutely and problems that you have faced on your daily commute,

Thanks for your help

Ben

emergency breakdown kit is the phone number of someone to come and pick me up.

Its light and very effective.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Other things to add to the list:

Bit of card (for temporary repair for slash in tyre)
    Sticky plasters - to stop blood for grazed knuckles (always happens to me when I use a multi-tool etc.)
    v small Pad and pencil - jotting down registration numbers / witness statements
    a headlamp or similar to effect repairs at night without streetlights (unless commuter light can be held in teeth).
    Small plastic sheet - for kneeling on and stopping knees getting too cold/damp/stone rashed!
    Mobile phone!
    Map of commuter route with LBS marked on them, and public transport details.

R.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    spare bike

back up supporting vehicle

mechanic
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Depends on length of ride...I carry P******e repair kit, levers, small spanner, etc.

Plus one of those valve things to convert car valves (Shraeder) to bike valves (presta) so I can use a garage air line in a dire emergency, pump would get nicked...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • £20 note for a taxi
    <a>road</a>
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I carry

tubes
    tyre levers
    multi tool
    adjustable spanner
    2 cable ties
    gaffer tape
    mini pump
    p***ture repair patches
    inflation/sealant foam can (been wondering about dispensing with the rest of the P***ture stuff)
    chain tool
    reminds me - must snaffle some more latex gloves from the office first aid kit...

j
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Nobody posting a link to the "What Gun do you Carrry on your Commute" thread from the USofA?
  • Cyclegent
    Cyclegent Posts: 601
    I carry a sterile dressing, small bandage and antiseptic wipe, just in case of minor accidents.
    \'Cycling in Amsterdam.is not a movement, a cause, or a culture.It\'s a daily mode of transportation. People don\'t dress special to ride their bike any more than we dress special to drive our car... In the entire 1600 photographs that I took, there were only three people in "bike gear" and wearing helmets.\' Laura Domala, cycling photographer.