ATB panniers - heel clearance.

novembercp
novembercp Posts: 58
edited October 2007 in Tour & expedition
Anyone recommend rear panniers for a mountainbike which will not catch on the heels when pedalling.

Comments

• I don't know how much you want to carry but have you looked at front panniers on the back?
  • Might work - big bags only encourage overpacking anyway. For extended trips I could add front ones as well.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Or get a Tubus rack and this adapter
    P919E1-New-OneS.jpg

It gives an inch more clearance and the rack (if you get one with a lower rail) another inch - not very cheap though.
  • Any of the Orlieb or Vaude panniers offer loads of adjustment to prevent this & unless you've a very odd combination of frame / rack / huge feet, you should be fine.

give me some measurements / information (rack, frame, feet etc) & I can check for you
  • Any of the Orlieb or Vaude panniers offer loads of adjustment to prevent this & unless you've a very odd combination of frame / rack / huge feet, you should be fine.

give me some measurements / information (rack, frame, feet etc) & I can check for you

Thanks. I like the look of the Ortlieb anyway. It's a 21" Spesh Hardrock rigid (bought in early '05 so could be 04 or 05 model I think) Rack is a Blackburn (came with a Copilot Taxi child seat) and I have size 8 feet (small for someone of 5' 11''). What else should I measure?
  • Ah, you'll be fine, tons of room unless you have really really long cranks (180)

Ortleib
    Vaude
  • belgiangoth
    belgiangoth Posts: 2,849
    Any of the Orlieb or Vaude panniers offer loads of adjustment to prevent this & unless you've a very odd combination of frame / rack / huge feet, you should be fine.

Heya Graeme, how do you change the heel clearance on Vaude panniers? I have some Revolution panniers by Vaude, and when they are full I have quite a heel overlap (which is tricky on a fixed). I know that you can move the hook on the centre of the bag - but I find that this pushes the bag at a funny angle which just moves it closer at the contact point.

Are there online instructions as to how to change the setup?
  • Hi,

It's the same way you move the sharks tooth (hook).
    use the little allen key provded to losen the top hooks on the back then slide the pannier backwards - obviously you'll have to move the sharks tooth to match.

You'll probably have more adjustment than you want to use.

not sure on instructions... if you get stuck I'll do you a video.
    graeme
  • belgiangoth
    belgiangoth Posts: 2,849
    the top hooks move? sweet!