Lights for the towpath.

kestrel
kestrel Posts: 7
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
First posting so please bear with me!
I commute to work 7 miles along an unlit towpath. Am struggling at the moment using two LED bar lights and a head torch.. so the time has come to upgrade. The trouble is I don't know whether I need LED, halide or HID.

I travel at 20mph top (in daylight!) and need to see both further ahead and width ways for the bushes. But it's not exactly as though I'm doing MTB through the woods! so do I really need to spend £200 to feel more comfortable/safer doing my journey?

Any advice please.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    A Dinotte 200L should do, £99 plus cost of 2800mah AA batteries and charger
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi,
    Just fyi we'll be posting a massive grouptest of commuting lights today, with a massive offroad lights test to follow.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I'd recommend the Dinotte 200L as well. They're unbelievable lights!
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    If you want to o cheaper have a look at the 'Smart' rechargeable twins. About £20-30
  • I was searching for a light for my 8 mile commute through unlit areas of Peckham/South East london. I settled on the Dinotte 200L also and have been amazed at how good they are. If you want to save some dosh, buy the £99 front light without the charger and batteries, and buy the charger and batteries yourself. Although you will need to recharge the 4AA's every night.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    M.Cole wrote:
    Hi,
    Just fyi we'll be posting a massive grouptest of commuting lights today, with a massive offroad lights test to follow.

Hi there,

thanks for the tip about the commuter lights test - very useful!

Are you able to give an approximate time when the off road lights test will be out, as am interested in a pair of these for myself and my gf.

Many thanks

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Anonymous
    Hi Daniel, next week some time. It's big. Very big. I can barely control my excitement.
  • Thanks everyone. Made my job a lot easier, 3 specific recommendations for the Dinotte 200l. AND a full review next week!
    Love this forum. :D
  • T800
    T800 Posts: 672
    How's your budget? You ready for one of these on each bike?
    Hi there,

thanks for the tip about the commuter lights test - very useful!

Are you able to give an approximate time when the off road lights test will be out, as am interested in a pair of these for myself and my gf.

Many thanks

Dan
    So, after a lot of thought, I'd like to reconsider. Please, if it's not too late, make it a cheeseburger.

Just a pic of my bike.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    OMFG is that a UFO.........

You'll be getting pulled by the boys in blue..................
  • Anonymous
    kestrel wrote:
    Thanks everyone. Made my job a lot easier, 3 specific recommendations for the Dinotte 200l. AND a full review next week!
    Love this forum. :D
    kestrel, don't forget you can use the site's search function - type in "dinotte" and see what you get...