Where have all the lightweight trikes gone ?

peanut
peanut Posts: 1,373
edited October 2007 in Tour & expedition
20 years ago there were always lightweight racing trikes around with 700c wheelsets and 21+ gears where have they all gone ? I have just searched the whole of the net for an hour and not found one single trike for sale?
My back has taken a turn for the worse and I reckon the only way I am going to stay on a bike now is by using a tricycle .Has anyone seen one foe sale anywhere/

In case anyone thinks of suggesting a recumbent I have lost the L5/S1 disk and so that is not an option unfortunately

Found one at last. Its a tricycle conversion kit to fit to your own lightweight racer brilliant ! :D
http://www.bikecare.co.uk/tribike.html

Comments

• tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    There are plenty of tricyclists around. As has always been the case there are regional hotspots of activity.

There are 2 Longstaff trikes on ebay right now, one 23" and one 20".

Ebay sometimes has a Higgins for sale; a Rogers crops up every month or so; and Longstaffs not usually that often, although there have been 3 in the last couple of weeks.

You might also try phoning Longstaff (01782 561966) because they sometimes have second hand machines.

Alternatively, maybe you can contact the Tricycle Association and request a copy of the latest Gazette (new one due out soon) to look in the members ads. Of course a donation to costs would undoubtedly be appreciated.

A conversion set is always a compromise, and I note that the price of the one you found is similar to that at which the last Longstaff was sold on ebay. Ebay also gets its crop of conversion sets, usually Holdsworth or Rogers. There were a couple recently in ropey old frames that went for about £150.
  • tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    Alternatively, maybe you can contact the Tricycle Association and request a copy of the latest Gazette (new one due out soon) to look in the members ads. Of course a donation to costs would undoubtedly be appreciated.
    I have just received my copy of the Gazette. There are no solo trikes for sale this quarter, only tandem trikes.