Need help with Trek 1000

gdfellas
gdfellas Posts: 5
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
hello everybody, just bought my first bike a trek 1000. Having recieved the bike today i am having problems with the gears. They just don't seem to be working. I no sounds stupid but i am a noobie. Can anybody give me some advice. thanks si

Comments

• It would help if you told us what the problem was.

My Bikes:

Road
    Dirt
    Fast
  • i have never rode one of these bikes and i dont know how the gears work. when i click either the left or right lever next to brakes nothing happens. :?
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    Did you buy of the net or a bike shop? If bikeshop take it back and ask them either for a demonstration of how gears work or if theres a problem to fix it. If you bought off net post again!
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Basics - the right side levers control the rear gears, left the front chainrings.

On each side there are two controls - the brake lever itself pushed in an a little black plastic thumb lever (I assume you have Sora groupset). Try the right side first the brake level goes lower (bigger cog) and the thumb lever does higher (smaller cog).

Oh and you have to be pedalling for anything to happen.
  • I dont think anyone has really helped... Assuming they are sora STI shifters...

Starting with the basics. The gears are moved (higher or lower) by either:

1. Pushing the small 'button' which should rest just under your thumb when riding with you hands on the hoods of the lever.
    2. Pushing the brake lever inwards (it only pushes in one direction)

For the right hand STI, pushing the button releases the cable so the the rear gear shifter pull the chain onto a smaller cog (bigger gear). Pushing the gear lever inwards pulls the cable and therefore pull the rear shifter and chain onto a bigger cog (easier gear)

For the left hand shifter it is almost the opposite, pushing the button drops you into a smaller chainring (easier gear) and pushing the lever inwards puts you in a larger chainring (higher gear)

There are with the left hand shifter several 'micro adjusts'. This means that because the chain angle varies depending on which rear gear you are in you can adjust the front shifter very slightly so the chain does not rub.

Just keep in mind for both shifters, pushing the lever in pulls the cable, pushing the button releases it....just look at how the gear mechanisms respond to this ans it is pretty basic.

...one final note, cable stretch over time so gear do need maintaining. The park tools website is a good resource for all maintainance instructions.
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    <rant on>
    Well I tried to help but the fucking shite tiny font on this site's message body added to my distectial (cannot spell) and poor vision fucked the content.
    <rant off>
    What Cooper said :evil: :evil: