Frames question.

GT Destroyer
GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
edited October 2007 in XC and Enduro
We ride aggressive XC. I have a GT Avalanche with (I think) has just 80mm of travel, which isn't enough for the riding we have started to do. We bought entry level bikes to kind of test the water and see if we would keep on using them, and we are.

So I need a frame suited to a higher travel fork and also suited to more aggressive riding. I have looked at length of some of the ones available.

Orange crush is top of the list at the moment, but there are so many other frames I have stumbled on, but I have no idea how good/bad they are, Cove, Identii, DMR, etc.. Does anyone have any suggestions of a strong hardtail for aggressive XC use? (The fork I'm planning on would be around 100-140mm travel)

Also, as the 08 stuff is starting to come out (or already has) does anyone know of a retailer who they know has last years models, so I can get as good a deal as possible?

This biking lark is well expensive but worth it!

Comments

• ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    There are so many frames that would be suitable. On-one 456, Pace RC303, SC Chameleon, Cove Stiffee, Dialled Bikes Prince Albert, etc etc. Depends how much cash you have to spend really. The Prince Albert and 456 are pretty cheap but you can pay about £1000 for a Nicolai Argon FR. See if you can test a couple out. None of the ones I have mentioned have bad words against them though.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • GT Destroyer
    Well the budget is around-about-ish-depends how good I am-if you see what I mean, £500.

So something like the Crush fits in there, I love the look of the RC303 but it only goes up to a 19" frame and I am muchos tall at 6ft 7inches so don't think that would be big enough for me, especially as the top tube is now going to be sloping down towards the seat post.

I like the look of the Chameleon and the Stiffee, is the Cove handjob built for what I need or just the Stiffee.

The on one frame has an interesting read on CrC but its so cheap, almost worryingly cheap?

edited - What about a Kona Scrap?

btw are Cove taking the mick with their bike names - Handjob, Stiffee, Foreplay, G-Spot!!!
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The On One is a much loved frameset with all of it's owners, well worth a look.

Kona Scrap is, well, crap for the money.

Orange Crush is quite heavy, but well built.

Chameleon is one of the finest all rounders you can get.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • ddoogie
    Hmm, your height certainly does present a few problems! You don't want to go too big, as you may find that you lose a bit of the aggression that these frames have. I don't know anything about the Scrap so can't comment. The 456 is a great bike though. Well worth a look.
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The Kona's largest framesize is 17.5"

It's a jump bike more than an XC bike hence the small sizing.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • GT Destroyer
    The size might be a problem (as it always is) as the 456 maxes out at a 20" but the stiffee is 21".

Just to double-check, we are talking about the on-one 456 which retails at £148.99 on CrC at the moment?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Do you know what i would do.

get your self up to Hafalax and the Orange factory and say "Right i have a problem can you solve it?"

It can not harm to ask.

6´7" is on the tall side.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ddoogie
    The Nicolai seems an ideal option considering the vast array of customisation options that they allow. Shame about the price!
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

• GT Destroyer
    Aye that Nicolai is expensive, but it does look very sturdy.

I think the Crush at 21" might be enough for me, but I need to ride one before I buy it. Stif might be able to help there.

Nick - Good idea, I was thinking about ringing them direct - They might even make me a bigger frame??

I think the Stiffee is probably out of the equation, it is expensive but then again its the right size at 21"

On one are a Northern based company aren't they? They might be able to cater for my uber size with a bigger frame?

I'll investigate today and see what I can find
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    On one are in toddy but only in a shed for designing. the frames are them amde where most are. Taiwain.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • GT Destroyer
    Ahhhh - Stif don't have a 21" framed crush and apparently only the F/S frames are made in Halifax, I am told that the H/T ones are made in ........ you guessed is Taiwan. So theres no point in ringing the factory.

The bloke said that in terms of a test bike they don't have the H/T ones to test, as each one rides quite similar to the next, but with the F/S bikes they do have to test as they can be vastly different.

Any clues as to how I can test ride a 21" Crush? Area is Yorkshire. And the Stiffee, cos I'm not completely ruling that out at the moment.