Reivers Route- Sustrans 10

JamesB
JamesB Posts: 1,184
edited October 2007 in Tour & expedition
Has anyone ridden this WEST -EAST??

I`m thinking about trying two day route late November but notice that some is off road (no issue but will take my MTB with slicks/ or Mich 2.0 Sprints with file tread and side knobbles?), possibly being heavy going in winter? (B&B overnight)

Any advice and tips appreciated!

James

Comments

• ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    Hello James did the other way last summer (east 2 West) on a touring bike. I used the road sections where available,going your way if you did the same the first off road bit is from Bewcastle to Kielder,this is quite rough in places, but managed ok on 700c touring wheels.Understand there is B&B available at Kielder and Bellingham but I was camping rough.Probably not a good idea in Nov.From bellingham to tynemouth is a mixture of rough tracks, gated roads,tracks and the odd piece of good road around stamfordham.Even in summer some of the tracks were pretty muddybut you'd be ok on a mtb.It's a great route but quite hilly,tough going in places. Don't expect to meet lots of people as it's pretty remote in places.Stock up with food and drink where you can as shops can be few and far betwen.Presume you've got the map and looked at the website?Good luck, hope it's not snowing :lol::lol::lol:
  • JamesB
    Have`nt got map yet, but will do if decide to go in Nov; definitely B&B; last time I was in Kielder (New Year 06) had 6" snow and -10c, made for quite difficult cycling :shock: :shock: so hope that this winter isn`t as bad as some may be suggesting!!
    Thanks for info

Definitely sound MTB and not 700 x 25mm close clearnace type (as Reivers website says most have regretted using a road bike on this one!)
  • ash68
    yeh, no good for lightweight road bikes, but tourers are just about ok with good wheels and tough tyres.Might be good idea to get a snow plough fitted to your mtb just in case the snow does come :lol::lol:
  • Dont forget you will also need a weapon for protection when you get to Percy Main in North Shields. Either that or ride very fast.
  • ash68
    Too true :lol::lol:
  • JamesB
    I`ll fit a sheep`s skull (preferably a ram`s head with a good set of sweeping horns) as a plough and use that to then fend off the attackers in Nth Shields;

2:1 you see :D:D
  • JamesB
    On C2C run in to Tynemouth had some `interesting` sections too where big ring / small cog was of use!!! :roll:
  • Hi, i did the Reviers West to East 2 or 3 years ago. I used a slicked up MTB but other people used narrow tyred road bikes. The section through the forest between Bewcastle and Keilder can be bypassed by taking a detour through Newcastleton, just adds 1 - 2 miles to your day but watch out for motorbikes on the narrow roads. Other rough sections between Ponteland and the coast can also be bypassed, not a bad idea really since there are lots of mini motos etc. on the old railway tracks/spoilheaps that the route uses in North Tyneside.

Rey
    George
  • JamesB
    Thanks, I`m going to order the Sustrans map and should be able to use Anquet maps to detour bad off road sections...I`m not at all averse to using forest tracks but as I`m hoping for a two day trip keeping speed up is important....and I wouldn`t fancy Kielder in the dark!
  • Dont forget you will also need a weapon for protection when you get to Percy Main in North Shields. Either that or ride very fast.

Hang on, hasn't the area gone upmarket since the neighbouring Royal Quays was completed :lol:

Remember watching a news item a few years ago on Look North and some resident was extolling the virtues of the Royal Quays, or Lower Ridges as its known in the local bus driving fraternity, was saying how its the place everyone wants to live .................... well he was new to the area :D

Still I suppose the locals are enjoying having the use of the contents of his house.

Even the gypsies don't stop long when they are in the area.

Can't help with the OP's question but I would imagine if you find any sections on your Sustrans map you aren't sure of you could ask advice for detours on here, someone will have been there and done that.
    Tarpaullynn
  • Hi James,

I've just returned from Riding the Reivers (east to west) last weekend. I did almost all of the offroad sections, using a Specialized rockhopper running Continental Top travel 1.75 x 26 tyres. essentially a semi-slick with a smooth centre line, with nobbly edges. There were sections where the route was a bit muddy and I lost traction, but much of the offroad has a decent stony base, so the semi slicks worked well. I wouldn't recommend to skinnier/smoother slick for these offroad sections, it would be hard going. There is a very remote section around Kielder, with no signposted road alternative, but it is mostly on hilly forest tracks - bumpy but rideable, and well worth the effort! I did it over 4 days, carrying a full camping load - so probably if you're B&B-ing, you'll be less loaded & fine. Most offroad sections have a road alternative, except the Kielder forest bit, but as posted previously, you can probably find a road alternative if necessary.

It's a fab route tho, and at least going west to East you won't have the constant headwind!

Good luck,
    George
  • JamesB
    Thanks for advice; I`ll probably use my Spesh Houffalize Pro 1.5" then (a closely packed small knobbles tyre) as they go well on the road and also do well on thin muddy conditions. Hoping for a 2 day (or 2.5) trip B&B , but will read up more on the route before deciding; may the wind be in the West! :)
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    Some negative comments alluding to problems with local kids in North Shields. I've done the C2C and Reivers, and made other journeys from central Newcastle thru Wallsend down to N Shields and Tynemouth and reverse. No probs. Is there substance to these allegations or is it simply the common stereotype - 'it's a council estate so that means trouble'?
    T Farr
  • ash68
    Certain areas on the c2c and the reivers around tyneside are covered in broken glass,grafitti and are not pleasant places to cycle. I cycled both routes last year and was pleased to get through some areas.While I didn't feel physically threatened myself at the time, It's not hard to see how cycling in these areas can lead to problems. I live only 10 miles from Newcastle, am proud of the area i live in, and don't like to put the area down.
    To answer your other point I grew up in a council house, my parents still live in that same house and I have no reason or wish to disrespect anyone living in a council house on Tyneside.Suggest you get the chip of your shoulder and open your eyes to the reality that parts of the area are not looking at there best at this moment in time.Kids loitering around, giving cheek and insults do not help the situation.
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    Ash68 no chip on my shoulder - I was not brought up in a council house; maybe you'll ascribe my views to some other syndrome. I am pleased to see that in your latest post you have moderated your opinions on the alleged dangers . There used to be a volunteer for Sustrans - 'Doug on the Tyne' - who as I understand kept watch on the Sustrans routes, particularly the C2C. If you're still out there Doug, I like to have his views on the alleged dangers.
    T Farr
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I have cycled in Newcastle on the C2c and the Coast and Castles without problems, I have also done the Loop line in Liverpool.

The only place I have ever felt uncomfortable enough to pick up the pace for this reason is Annan on the Lochs and Glens!

Mind you I suspect the "chainsaw" aspect of a recumbent's front chainwheel charging towards you is a good deterrent
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • ash68
    think your overplaying a few tongue in cheek comments TIM. If you've never seen the debris on the cycletracks along the Tyne, brokenglass,grafitti on walls and buildings, boarded up windows, used syringes on the ground. Think I need to borrow your rose tinted glasses mate. Don't think my last post backtracks on anything I posted before.You suggested I looked down on council house estates, I mearly pointed out that I come from a council estate' that is my roots and i am proud of them .However , if a place looks run down and uncared for, then I'll say my piece. Don't really see what point your trying to make.
  • JamesB
    Back to subject........ :D I`m aiming for late Nivember on a 2.5 day B&B trip, anyone know of B&B near Dalston (but prferably not in Carlisle) , as I intend to make that my first 0.5 day from Whitehaven to push on through Kielder on a full day to Bellingham possibly? First day of 45 ish, then 70 , then 60 to finish down the Tyne :)
  • ash68
    Hi James, have you found a b& b in Dalston? I looked on the reivers and ctc sites and came up with a big zero.The nearest were 2 in Hesket Newmarket or several in Carlisle.The ctc site shows two cycle friendly ones in Bellingham if that's any good for your second night.I camped wild when I did it, but it's a bit chilly for that now :lol:
  • JamesB
    Ash

no , as you say the nearest is Hesket, one of which is opposite a micro brew pub.so that will make the Hesket - Bellingham slog worthwhile, probabaly roading section Newcastleton- Kielder unless weather very good (I`ve ridden teh Lewisburn / Borders route before and it is very isolated and potentially bleak, mind you I did ride it on 31st dec one year!!)
  • I am a Sustrans Ranger who works with Doug on the Tyne so perhaps i can add my tuppance
    North Shields (where i was born and bred) is not that bad, it is just that, we have a huge Off Road Motorbike problem and Broken Glass Problem. Unfortunatly the Waggonways (Sustrans Routes) are a Magnet to youths Drinking as they are out of the way of prying eyes.

In general you will not (as i have not) come across any problems from the youths as long as you do not cycle the Waggonways at night or confront the youths (although sometimes these youths arew in there 30s on the motorbikes) follow this advice put your head down and get to ponteland and you will be alright.
  • JamesB
    I`ll not be wanting to head down as fast as poss to Ponteland as I`m going West - East. :o ..looking at the maps I guess that I can cut out certain bits at the end if necessary...probably on the Waggonways about mid afternoon Sunday if on schedule from Bellingham in the morning
  • Tim Farr wrote:
    Some negative comments alluding to problems with local kids in North Shields. I've done the C2C and Reivers, and made other journeys from central Newcastle thru Wallsend down to N Shields and Tynemouth and reverse. No probs. Is there substance to these allegations or is it simply the common stereotype - 'it's a council estate so that means trouble'?

The area is a bit rough, the kids are rougher and I won't even mention the women.......!

As others have said there are copious amounts of debris and broken glass in the area, did a local charity ride a few months back in the area and there were a ridiculous number of punctures.

As for stereotyping people, I'm from a council estate, born and bred and proud of it, still live on one and love 'home', wouldn't live anywhere else. I live about about a mile from Percy Main and have worked from a depot there for the last 20yrs so my comments though tongue in cheek aren't without 'substance'.

Just ride through without stopping and you'll be fine.
    Tarpaullynn