Ian Stannard

squired
squired Posts: 1,153
edited October 2007 in Pro race
After his period riding for T-Mobile I notice that he's not been named among the riders for next season. With 3 places yet to be filled I guess he still has a chance, or maybe they don't rate him.. Does anybody know what the situation is, as it would be good to have another Brit turning pro?

Comments

• Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60602&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Has a bit of info along with the usual slander and gossip :wink:

Long of short of it, he won't be getting a place for next year
  • Bad news, but there is time on their side. We can take over the international world of cycling bit by bit instead over the next few years.
  • Spoff
    Spoff Posts: 98
    Bit galling that it looks as though Zabel's going back though - hardly one for the future even if you excuse his EPO dabbling.
  • It was a good experience for him, and Ben Swift. They will be stronger for it but should get back down to their winter training and have a good year next season on the continent and maybe get a deal with a cood Continental squad.

Youngsters going into the bigger Protour squads can sometimes be too much too soon. Jamie Burrows for example. Better to have a good first pro season in lesser status races and build a pro reputation rather than come into a bigger team with a hefty amatuer palmares holding you back
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    It's a buyer's market so teams have a hihger standard to pick from. Looks like Stannard didn't make the grade this time.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    There's just so many riders on the market this year, it's hard for the youngsters to get a place. Besides, T-Mobile have already racked up a good proportion of the real future jewels for next year. They need some older guys alongside them to guide them also. Hammond and Cavendish are the best example of how that can work wonders.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I expect it's only hard for the youngsters who aren't top notch. Cavendish, Ciolek etc haven't had problems maintaining their contracts.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers