Dawes Sardar review

acorn_user
acorn_user Posts: 1,137
edited October 2007 in Tour & expedition
Am I the only one that thought this review was missing the point?
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... r-08-24163

The bike is aimed at touring, yet the authors carped on about it's weight. 14.5kg sounds pretty reasoble to me. My Kalahari weighs more than that.

They also complained about the Shimano mtb shifters. These are perfectly standard, and I cannot believe that the authors were not able to use them right.

Lighter pair of wheels. Bah!

Comments

• acorn_user wrote:
    Am I the only one that thought this review was missing the point?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... r-08-24163

The bike is aimed at touring, yet the authors carped on about it's weight. 14.5kg sounds pretty reasoble to me. My Kalahari weighs more than that.

They also complained about the Shimano mtb shifters. These are perfectly standard, and I cannot believe that the authors were not able to use them right.

Lighter pair of wheels. Bah!

Reviews are subjective. Most folk buy a bike without reading its reviews. I'd not lose sleep over it.
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    The review seems fair enough to me. I would have similar concerns about a chunky aluminium-framed (but still heavy) bike for touring, and the fact they've confirmed this by road-testing it doesn't surprise me.

a serious case of small cogs
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Bring back the old Sardar...
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    The same was said about the Thorn Nomad.

Leaving aside the ability of a stronger frame to carry wieght better - there is a weight / abuse ratio withthese machines.

LIghten the bike and you will compromise the ability to be abused by roads, baggage handlers, trains and all the other abuses that a touring bike will undergo.

Personally I am not fast or efficient enough to let it worry me and the reasurance of a "bombproof" frame led me to buy the NOmad.

A diet and foregoing the pleasure of testing local Ales when on tour would soon compensate for the 2kg or so excess weight on the bike!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    But I personally wouldn't trust an aluminium frame to be as "bombproof" as a well-built steel frame, no matter how chunky! And as for the feel of the ride over long distances....! Those are the 2 vital factors in touring, and this seems to miss on both.

a serious case of small cogs
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Well, its a heavy duty tour capable bike at a budget price, shame the frame is an Alu mtb one, but it looks like it would be durable (rather than repairable). I think there are better buys ata round that price though, such as the Edinburgh Cycles Revolution Country Traveller, or the Dawes Horizon - both with drop bars (which should make them more pricey, but they are infact cheaper).
  • I have the equivalent Dawes frmae to the current sadar from about 7 years back (MTB tourer) Oversize steel it was back then and sure the frame is pretty heavy, but built up with a decent groupset and finishing kit it is certainly not heavy for the class of bike.

Mine now has an LX groupset, decent wheels and Kona P2 forks, compared to a work colleagues Kenesis maxlight you can hardly tell the difference in weight (there is maybe 500g or so in it. If i spent another £100 on it (superlight pedals, tyres, saddle etc..) i could easily knock another 1kg off it.

It makes a fine commuter, tourer, shopping bike, is comfy yet very stiff. However i have to say i would by no means swap it for a new sadar, which looks a little odd.

Going by my frame, dawes make good solid frames at the expense of a few grams...but these bikes are never meant for racing...and like i say my steel version is not so heavy.
  • malwyn
    malwyn Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 631 steel Sardar, I would not part with it for the world.
    I'm using Campy 10spd ergos with 9spd Shimano inc' Deore top swing front mech & V brakes, it all works perfectly !
    See SPA Cycles, but be quick.