Newbie.

Wallm0nkey
Wallm0nkey Posts: 17
edited October 2007 in MTB beginners
I'm guessing this is the most asked question but I'm interested in starting biking. Lacking the bike right now though I'm looking to spend around £400. I'm looking for a hardtail to be used for some easy trails to start with but would be nice if it's ok on the road and canal towpaths too. A few places within riding distance but will need a fair bit riding on the road to get there as I can't see a bike fitting in the mini! Any advice appreciated budget isn't definite but would be good to keep it at that sort of area with a climbing habit to fuel too.

Comments

• Wallm0nkey wrote:
    I'm guessing this is the most asked question but I'm interested in starting biking. Lacking the bike right now though I'm looking to spend around £400. I'm looking for a hardtail to be used for some easy trails to start with but would be nice if it's ok on the road and canal towpaths too. A few places within riding distance but will need a fair bit riding on the road to get there as I can't see a bike fitting in the mini! Any advice appreciated budget isn't definite but would be good to keep it at that sort of area with a climbing habit to fuel too.

I'm new as well, got myself a Trek 4300 for £300 which I'm very happy with. Think their model for around £400 is pretty much the same but with disc brakes. Fairly light and a nice ride. I've had it just over a month and done just over 200 miles on it so far.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a read of the What Bike thread in the Buying section, a few in your budget listed there.
  • The trek does look pretty nice the mongoose tyax seems pretty good too. I'll have a check round some more local shops so I can see if anyone stocks them.
    I saw a GT Agressor today about £350 I think it was or the higher model was almost £500 but with hydraulic disks. Any one got any experience with that bike?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Both well regarded bikes. The GT Avalanche 1.0 just floored the opposition in a recent WMB test. Best thing you can do is try a few out, see how they feel. At the very least enquire about the fork - it should feature hydraulic damping.
  • fabienno1
    fabienno1 Posts: 406
    Where possible go for disc brakes or at least "disc ready" as some gts are. It should say, if not the guys in the shop will probably know. This saves the expenditure in the future of a whole new hub fitted to the rim which might also be new ones if you don't want the v brake "stripe" on your rims.
    It doesn't matter about hydraulic or mechanical at this point, mechanical are a big enough improvement for a newbie.
    <hr>

Do what you fear, you won\'t regret it.

You are only as brave as your skill level.
  • The GT I like the look of has Rock Shocks dart 2 fork the info does say it's damped and comes with mechanical disks. I'll give it a try when I get the chance and I'll update after that.
  • bullcross
    bullcross Posts: 274
    halfords are selling the fury for £395 right now bargin
    :wink:

or the GT xcr1 for £440
    both from halfords
    focus superbud
  • I did have a look at the GT xc1 and the fury when I was there I'll have try out the size of them. Just wondering if the extra for the xc1 is worth it over the xc2 or the fury at the minute. I just don't know enough yet!

Thanks for all the advice so far with any luck I'll have a bike by the end of the week :)
  • bullcross
    bullcross Posts: 274
    xc2 has cable brakes and dart forks
    the fury and the xc1 have better brakes and tora forks :wink:
    focus superbud
  • hairy1
    hairy1 Posts: 17
    Tried CRC
  • Well I decided on the fury in the end I went and got it today. But that was quite shortlived I made it about 50m away from the shop and heard a crunch. The arm that holds the gear mechanism on had sheared off the chain snapped something went out of align as the pedals wouldn't move and a scratched frame!
    So I took it back in and they came to the conclusion it hadn't been set up properly. It was one of the younger staff who did it I think. Anyway they are doing me a whole new bike but they have no 18" frames in stock so I have a bit of a wait :( The people sorting it seemed to know what they were on about though and the manager of the bike area was very appologetic. I'm getting £40 to spend in the bike part for the problems too.
    Any suggestions of what to buy with it figure I might aswell make good use of it.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    A helmet for sure, maybe some gloves, a puncture repair kit and pump. Should see you right.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Wallm0nkey wrote:
    Well I decided on the fury in the end I went and got it today. But that was quite shortlived I made it about 50m away from the shop and heard a crunch. The arm that holds the gear mechanism on had sheared off the chain snapped something went out of align as the pedals wouldn't move and a scratched frame!
    So I took it back in and they came to the conclusion it hadn't been set up properly. It was one of the younger staff who did it I think. Anyway they are doing me a whole new bike but they have no 18" frames in stock so I have a bit of a wait :( The people sorting it seemed to know what they were on about though and the manager of the bike area was very appologetic. I'm getting £40 to spend in the bike part for the problems too.
    Any suggestions of what to buy with it figure I might aswell make good use of it.

Where did you buy it from?

Sounds like Halfords to me!
  • Yeah was halfords! I finally go the bike today :) But a bit annoyed I turned up as I was told to and they hadn't even assembled my bike yet it was still in a box... But an hour later it was done and enjoyed my ride home on it. Just need to take it out properly now thinking I need some hours on it my legs are lacking strength right now!