3 Broken Ribs in my back - how long until i can get back on

davethedoo
davethedoo Posts: 69
edited October 2007 in Health, fitness & training
I was at Glentress on Monday past and went over the jump next to the see saw. I landed slightly funny and ended up having a disagreement with a tree which resulted in 3 broken ribs.

This is a complete %$%$% as I am due to go to Laggan Wofltrax in 10 days.

Has anyone suffered broken ribs and do they remember how long it took them to get back on a bike. I would be happy at just being able to make the day and take it easy but never having been to Laggan I dont know what the trails are like.

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

PS I have obviously been at the Docs and they say 6-8 weeks but I am already having biking withdrawal symptoms and refuse to believe this pants news.

Cheers

Comments

• Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    I broke a rib and then did GT a week later. You'll not do any further harm riding (unless you fall off again) but it will be bloody sore. Get hold of some decent painkillers and you'll be sorted.

Paracetamol, ibuprofen and codeine regularly should do the trick (as long as you aren't allergic to any of them).

((I really must get round to writing a FAQ for this section mustn't I))
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I guess it depends a lot on how badly they were broken, I just cracked mine so it healed pretty fast. The main pain from riding was the jarring rather than having a constant pain, the doc gave me some pain killers (I think co-codamol 500mg) which were great, really took the edge off the pain so I'd feel the odd twinge but not the usual stabbing pain.
    If your ribs weren't any worse than mine 10 days + pain killers should be fine, but then my doc only said 3-4 weeks rest so yours sound worse :p
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    i am taking DIHYDROCODEINE as i have just had my toe amputated and they are good should help with your ribs alot..
  • Thanks for all your replies guys. My intention is to go up there painkillered to the max and give it a shot.

Thats been a week now and as you mentioned it is not so much a pain but regular twinges when moving in certain ways

My plan is to avoid trees.

cheers
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    davethedoo wrote:
    My plan is to avoid trees.

cheers

Always a good plan,
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • Steve P
    Steve P Posts: 15
    Try not to sneeze. My ribs were only bruised but what hurt the most was sneezing. Excruciating.
  • I got knocked over a couple of months ago (emabarassing not paying attention type story) and broke 2 ribs at the front. I managed to get back on my road bike the next day (with painkillers) but was advised of a similar time scale to you.
    I suppose the risk is another fall and if the rib is unstable can it do damage to your lungs. Generally broken bones have started to become stable after 4 weeks and safe after 6, look at rugby players.
  • "generic" Codeine Phosphate + Paracetamol concoction from Tesco works wonders. It's over the counter but it's mad stuff. Don't take any on an empty stomach or you'll fall on your arse again in a pool of vomit.

I fell off* and bust three fingers, my thumb and the scaphoid bone and I didn't feel a thing after a couple of them. I was back at work tapping out software within the week. Took about 2 months for it to be "comfortable" though.

* fell off my two feet whilst running for a train - no bike needed.
  • Yes...sneezing is a pain in the hoop as is coughing and sleeping.

I am taking a fine medley of narcotics for pain relief and they do play havoc with your insides. This resulted in me releasing some wind last night to the tune of an orchestra, this also resulted in my wife laughing her head off.

This then resulted in me starting to laugh which almost killed me.

The moral of this story is not only to avoid trees but to avoid anything that makes you sneeze, cough or laugh. :oops: