broken collar bone

stanyman
stanyman Posts: 4
edited October 2007 in Health, fitness & training
i just did my first enduro event in the merida marathon in wales,i completed 70km of the 75 km course before going head over handlebars and breaking my collar bone,had to walk down the side of the mountain for about 2.5km for help.i get it operated on monday and i was wondering if any body has any advice on how to rehab so i can get on my bike as quick as possible.theres no way a broken collar bone is going to stop me from completing one of these events. :(

Comments

• hilltop
    hilltop Posts: 41
    Welcome to the club Stanyman. I broke mine in a collision with a van about 5 years ago.
    The recovery time was 6 weeks,but I was back on the bicke after 4 weeks.
    I asked the doc about this and he said the MTB would be ok as the bars would not hunch me over as much and put pressure on the collar bone.So a couple of weeks on the MTB then back on the road bike no problem.
    I must admit it was murder sleeping on my back for a few weeks as I'm sure you know.
    Anyway all the best for the future and I hope your next race is not too far away.
    Hilltop.
  • stanyman
    stanyman Posts: 4
    thanks for that,sounds more promising than what i have been told,
  • collar bones are too weak! why didn't god give us steel ones, and to match that steel shin bones that can take limitless shin digs!!
    Alex
  • Went riding in The Peak with a mate yesterday. Last time we rode together (May) he broke a wrist. This time I went one better - broke my collar bone & bruised ribs. Lots of ribs. I probably was going a bit too fast though still not sure exactly what happened. Perhaps I'm lucky as the ribs hurt more but no breaks there. Appointment at the fracture clinic tomorrow to have the collar bone fracture 'reduced', cringe... Just when I was getting a bit fitter. So 6 to 8 weeks for recovery ifit goes OK. Then start all over again.

Good Luck to anyone else out there suffering pain during the current spell of good weather.
  • brasso
    brasso Posts: 203
    Hope your back on your bike soon. Horrid injury
    collar bones are too weak! why didn't god give us steel ones, and to match that steel shin bones that can take limitless shin digs!!

Can I have a titanium ones please.
    '08 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    '04 Allez Sport

When we wake up in the morning, we have two simple choices. Go back to sleep and dream, or RIDE.

The choice is yours...
  • Steve P
    Steve P Posts: 15
    Actually if you get a plate it would be titanium. Best not to though. My doc says that you get a nice scar, numbness and can feel the plate under the skin. You would only get one in extremis. Most clavicles heal very well left alone, just not in their original position. My left shoulder won't be winning any beauty contests from now on. Dam. Healing nicely 25 days after the break though still painful at times. Not near back to riding yet.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    No they're not, they're stainless steel.
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • Steve P
    Really? Just shows you can't trust everything you read on the web.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    But can you trust what you've just read that I wrote????

Ahh, now I've got you thinking.

They use stainless ones on the NHS coz they're cheaper and do exactly the same job; privately surgeons use titanium coz the patients think it sounds better and will make a difference to the outcome; it doesn't.
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath
  • Steve P
    37 days on and Doctor says I can go back to work. Yipee....
    Also says I can ride again as long as I don't fall off!
    As if.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    collar bones are too weak! why didn't god give us steel ones, and to match that steel shin bones that can take limitless shin digs!!

This is because Shins have a secondary function of finding furniture in dark rooms. Hence the strengthening.

Clavices hav eno such second purpose and hence no structural strengthening
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Ahh but, why is my little toe not got this extra strengthening? That seem to find the corner of the bed far too often. Although that my be drunken stumbling thats to blame! :lol:
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....