Ebay

Brian1
Brian1 Posts: 595
edited October 2007 in The bottom bracket
I am currently selling a frame on ebay and the highest bidder has no feedback.Although payment is through paypal I am abit concerned.In the back of my mind there is something that paypal can recall payment if there is a problem with buyers bank/credit card although I cant find anything on the site.Any thoughts would be appreciated.Thanks

Comments

• reefman
    reefman Posts: 14
    I wouldn't worry about it as he has to pay for the goods and postage before you dispatch it.
    It is if you are buying from someone with no feedback you need to worry a bit more.
    We all have to start somewhere on ebay.My first ever transaction about 3 years ago was selling a frame. Every one gave me a chance.

I always use paypal or C.O.D. when I sold my motorbike.

Reefman
  • The only thing I would be a bit concerned about is if the price of the frame goes very high. Then the Paypal account must be verified for transactions above a certain amount.. which means you may have to wait while the newbie gets his a/c in order. You can always do COD or cheque cleared before dispatch.
  • There are plenty, way too many for my liking, examples of buyer fraud on various PayPal forums where stolen card details are used, accounts are hijacked or products are disputed as either never delivered or not as advertised - in all cases you, the seller, pick up the bill. And you won't get the frame back either (none of this will come to light until after you've posted it). The advice is always to look at the buyer's history. No history, no sale (especially on high value items). It's unfair for first time buyers but sometimes there's no other option.
  • Make sure the payment's well & truly cleared before sending. Wait a week, tell the buyer that this is what you're doing, if they're straight, they'll appreciate it.
    Send by a Courier firm, so there's a signature to show it's been delivered. Buyer to pay postage costs, of course.
    Get e-mail confirmation from buyer of their address, check this e-mail address is the same as the one they're using for the Paypal payment.
    Ultimately there's always a risk, Paypal are very good at taking your (The vendor) money and despite the bull on their website, are very bad at protecting vendor's goods & money!
    If it's a cheque, then again, make sure it clears fully, I've sold an item on eBay, got a cheque, it took about 2 weeks to bounce! :evil:
    Do a bit of detective work, ask the buyer if he's in a cycling club, see if you can get in touch with anyone else in that club to verify his identity (Website?)
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • I'd be more worried about them winning and then not paying. You then have to wait a week to escalate to ebay, then try and get your listing and final balance fees back, etc. In the meantime, you've lost potential, genuine buyers.
    If you're that worried you could cancel the zero feedback persons bid, and update your listing to say you won't take bids from anyone with no feedback.