Bike lane cameras

doug_steel
doug_steel Posts: 7
edited October 2007 in Campaign
I heard a brief news item about this on Radio 4 this morning, a quick search popped up this:

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/li ... 128011.ece

A snippet below.
The Times wrote:
Drivers will be fined £120 for straying into cycle lanes under plans to give local authorities powers to install yet another set of roadside enforcement cameras.

Even minor infringements, such as moving briefly into a cycle lane to pass a vehicle turning right, will result in a fixed penalty. Drivers will not know that they have been caught until the penalty notice arrives in the post a few days later.

Now I'm in two minds over this, the positive aspects are I think dangerous and negligent drivers should be fined if they breach the rules, and it will hopefully remind drivers to think of cyclists at least occasionally. However, I can imagine a small minority of drivers getting p*ssed off about this especially if the see a cyclist (quite legally and correctly) not using a cycle lane.

The comments on the story are the usual petrolhead rants though...

Comments

• Yellow Cliff
    Yellow Cliff Posts: 231
    I like the idea of penalising those who drive in mandatory cycle lanes - there is one on my way home from work which the drivers just use as a second lane on the road. Very dangerous for cyclists that don't ride there regularly and don't expect a car to dive in front of them without looking.

However, I agree that this could cause further conflict and hassles from the vocal minority of drivers who hate cyclists. Or just don't want to obey the rules. A counter argument might be that if they are forced to give cycling provision some respect, perhaps this could seep through into their general driving, although I strongly doubt that.
  • Nigel-YZ1
    Nigel-YZ1 Posts: 23
    How abut extending it to cover parking across cycle lanes?

There are always hate mongers out there that will latch onto this - probably people who drive in bus lanes.

I'm a driver and a cyclist, I've got no problem with this idea. I'm quite capable of keeping the thing from crossing a painted line. Anyone who wants to oppose it can exchange their car for a bike for 6 months and see how the other half lives.
  • I have a sneaking suspicion that anyone who swapped their car for a bike for 6 months would probably stick to two wheels.

Generally though, a good idea. The greater the cost saving gap between car and bike the better.
  • PrettyBoyTim
    PrettyBoyTim Posts: 163
    My wife was once fined for 'parking in a bus lane' when a bus lane camera took a picture of our car in a bus lane. She had actually pulled over to let an emergency vehicle past, but obviously the camera was ignorant of that, and it was very difficult to prove our case.
  • Nigel-YZ1
    Nigel-YZ1 Posts: 23
    My wife was once fined for 'parking in a bus lane' when a bus lane camera took a picture of our car in a bus lane. She had actually pulled over to let an emergency vehicle past, but obviously the camera was ignorant of that, and it was very difficult to prove our case.

That is the problem. Whoever runs the system has to be capable of being trusted.
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Surveillance culture = bad. But when the people you're surveilling can't be trusted to behave like anything other than five-year-old children wanting it all and whining when they don't get it, forever blameless and demanding... well, children need to be watched and disciplined.
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I was in a cycle lane at Oval last year - being a bit pedantic because the car behind was also driving along the cycle lane - hundreds of cyclists use this route during rush hour and this driver was causing a serious hazard to anyone attempting to use the cycle lane.

I stopped in front of him so he'd have to go around me - and back into the lane he should be in.

Except! a passing police officer stopped and told me that if I didn;t move he'd book me for obstrcution.

I tried to get him to do something about the car behind me driving along a busy cycle lane in ruch hour and he threatened to arrest me.

One driver's convenience weighed against the rights of hundreds of cyclists. I tell ye - we're lower than ameoba.

:x
  • You should have had a word in his sergeant's ear, even if it is not your place to enforce the law. :idea:

Back on topic, I am against pretty much any automated law enforcement.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • Elsewhere we have a thread about the police waiting at red lights to catch cyclists who jump red lights
    Perhaps the police could have waited and caught this person and others like him... Nope, that means the police would have to 'get involved' with road safety
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    We'll all be wearing bullet video cameras one day...
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Except! a passing police officer stopped and told me that if I didn;t move he'd book me for obstrcution.

I tried to get him to do something about the car behind me driving along a busy cycle lane in ruch hour and he threatened to arrest me.

Surley you weren't obstructing?

Always waggle the fornt wheel or prod a tyre etc....

THat way you have a legitimate excuse - I thought I picked up some glass, my ront yre felt flat, my steering felt a little loose ec.

Thay can't criticise you for being safety concious!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Ale
    Ale Posts: 180
    or just slow RIGHT down. Wobble too.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    ..and will cyclists be fined for using car lanes where there is a cycle lane? I doubt it. Unfortunately this practice is common in my area - up to one third of cyclists fail to use perfectly good cycle lanes to the danger of both car driver and cyclist..

one of the comments, are they having a laugh....they must be mustn't they??...mustn't they? :?
  • perfectly good? spoken like someone wearing industrial strength blinkers...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    If only I could drive my car, for which I pay a road tax (unlike cyclists) in a specially designated lane, because it is bound to be empty!

As "road tax" doesn't exist, how is he paying it? Is it not council tax ,which I, being a full time university student, don't actually pay, that pays for the road?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    The "road tax" issue has been explained at length, but I liked these:
    "Pedestrians are the biggest danger for all road users, and jay walking should be illegal. There is no personal responsibility. And road users are to blame everytime."

"Yet more camera's to catch indescretions on the roads. Meanwhile, ethnic kids are going around stabbing & shooting each other. Teenage pregnancies are up, bastard children are up, STD's are up.
    Still, lets nail the motorist!!!! That way the authorities can ignore the real issues that they have not got the guts to tackle in case it upsets some bloody minority group!

Pete, St Albans, "

WTF?
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • That 'pedestrains are the biggest danger' comment is right on the mark. Last year I lost control of my grey and black HiTec trainers in damp conditions.
    It was terrible. I killed 9 people including two little old ladies and a young mum pushing a pram.

This dangerous activity known as walking should be banned