hardknott v curbar hill-which is tougher??

paul.d
paul.d Posts: 82
edited October 2007 in Pro race
any thoughts

Comments

• eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Although I haven't done Hardknott I'd go with that one, since Curbar really isn't that bad. I'm not saying Curbar is a pleasant ride but I have got up it on either a 42x23 or 42x25, can't remember exactly, on a not especially light bike. On a pimped carbon fiber jobbie and riding 39x25 it should be easily do able. From what I understand of Hardknott this wouldn't be the case.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Any stats on Curbar. I have done Hardknott a few times and I am no stranger to tough hills and for me Hardknott west is the one I rate the hardest off all. It is a 300m climb in under 2kms with some very steep stretches over 30% at places. There is no where in Scotland that comes even close.

I have not even heard or know anything about Curbar.
    Brian B.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Here we go:

http://tinyurl.com/2zhag2

Course starts just off the main road A623, about where the gradient arrow is, climbs up through Curbar village and then finishes at the parking space at the top. It is a hard hill, but thats all, I can think of far worse then Curbar. Saying that it still hurts like hell to race up it.
  • eh wrote:
    Saying that it still hurts like hell to race up it.
    Knackered me just riding up the damn thing!
    I think I raced (in the loosest sense of the word :oops: ) it a few times, at least I got up it, unlike Winnats! :D
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • paul.d
    paul.d Posts: 82
    cheers everybody-i'm going to give Curbar a try in the next week or two!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes Hardknott is undoubtedly tougher - probably better to compare Curbar with some other climbs in Derbyshire - Rowsley Bar, Riber, Winnats - you could do them all in one loop.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • As i live in the westerly suburbs of Sheffield, ive cycled up Curbar Edge quite alot and i would say that Hardknott is way way way harder than Curbur. Infact to be honest Curbar isnt really as hard as maybe some people make it out to be, but not sure if i would fancy racing up it.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    The other thing about Curbar is there is a much nicer climb up past the Chequers Inn right next to it. Mind you that one also makes a fantastic high speed descent.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • The other thing about Curbar is there is a much nicer climb up past the Chequers Inn right next to it. Mind you that one also makes a fantastic high speed descent.

Have to agree with you Froggart Edge is a really nice climb, its my fav climb out of the valley on my way back to Sheffield.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dont even have to ride this Curbar to know the answer....i can see from the Contour lines that this climb isnt in the same world as Hardknott...you must remember that Hardknott is just unbeleivable the way it reaches up the mountain......nearly every serious climb Ive ever did in the Lakes looks tougher than Curbar never mind the Daddie!

As Ive said earlier many times...only other climb Ive ridden which comes close to Hardknott is Bwlch Y Groes.....

A good experience would be for you to travel to the Lakes, York Dales or NY Moors and of course Wales and have a look at some of these things...

I would say that Winnats Pass looks way tougher than Curbar...and in fact I do rate Winnats...its very steep...but Winnats is a world away from Hardknott