Have the German authorties gone completely mad?

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2007 in Pro race
From this mornings cyclingnews. It's bordering on character assassination.

German Parliament to investigate Schumacher's blood values?
By Susan Westemeyer

The German Bundestag (Parliament) might be looking into Stefan Schumacher's diarrhea - in a manner of speaking. Peter Danckert, the chairman of the Sport Committee, said that he "would introduce into the Parliament [and] debate the theme" of the results of Schumacher's two out-of-competition doping controls before the World Championships. The German rider, who finished third, showed "irregularities in various parameters" of the blood, which doctors determined was due to the diarrhea from which he was suffering.

Danckert told Süddeutsche Zeitung that he challenged Schumacher to lay down all his blood values. "That way the case can be quickly explained," he added. "It is not acceptable that such cases be explained solely by experts working for the athlete."
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,129
    You really think? I thought it was fair enough - I could easily dope, have some irregularities and then get a doctor who was working for me to explain them away. An independent assessment would probably uncover more.

In Schumacher's case I'd be surprised if he has doped given the strong anti-doping stance his team take, although they don't have an independent program in place like CSC.

An independent investigation would clear him, assuming he has nothing to hide.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Sure, if he's got nothing to hide.

Besides, why do blood values change when you get the runs? Maybe you get dehydrated but pro cyclists and their entourage have used all sorts of excuses. Besides, Schumacher's already tested positive in the past and the German national squad has been synonymous with doping in recent years.

All reasons to investigate and hopefully to show everything is fine now.
  • iainf72
    I was under the impression the doctors who investigated were UCI / BDR people so should be independant.

Anyway, the positive for Calpol or whatever it was his mum gave him didn't count.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    The runs and any subsequent treatment would upset blood/plasma ratios I think as well as salt balances.
    Strange values should have been checked by UCI or independent doctors but my understanding of the article is that it was his own doctors who provided the explanation.

And to be honest I've never really understood the preponderance of tummy troubles amongst athletes. yes they are probably nervous, yes they are highly strung/finely tuned sensitive creatures but how often have we heard that so and so isn't going to start because they have the runs or fall ill on key stages (I'm thinking about the UK runner at olympics 2004, Swedish female pro cyclist female this year at Worlds, Italian cyclist in Giro 2005 etc etc)
    Perhasp they should eat more Yoghurt or something :wink:
  • iainf72
    For years, dodgy stomach has been code words for "They'd fail a dope test if they competed"

But, there is also large amounts of travelling and eating in different places. A recipe for a dodgy stomach I'd suggest.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:
    For years, dodgy stomach has been code words for "They'd fail a dope test if they competed"

But, there is also large amounts of travelling and eating in different places. A recipe for a dodgy stomach I'd suggest.

Also consuming vast amounts of food high in complex sugars and starches and having fuck all immunity against bugs, due to extremely low fat levels.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Now if the authorities could prove that he had sh*t somwhere different from where his doctor claimed, maybe then we should be concerned..
  • iainf72
    Oo-er, has he been on the disco biscuits now?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... oct09news2
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    iainf72 wrote:
    Oo-er, has he been on the disco biscuits now?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... oct09news2

Top German rider in drunken car crash and possible ingestion of recreational pharmaceuticals? - Haven't we been through all this before?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Could it be that a police roadside test is more effective than an officially administered competition one? If so, then the testing procedure needs a serious review.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,163
    Timoid. wrote:
    Could it be that a police roadside test is more effective than an officially administered competition one? If so, then the testing procedure needs a serious review.

I think the big car crash may have been a bigger tip off than the UCI ever get
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Does that mean he'll get to the Ardennes classic overweight next year? Then get his ass kicked. Then try again with the same poor results. Then go on a fit and change teams. Then come back home crying because the other man didn't have the money he said he had. Then fail even more miserably. Then look like he's on form to recover his long-lost glory. Then get his blood found in some guy's fridge. Then deny that it's his blood. Then get his house searched during his honeymoon...

ok, I guess you get the point by now. :roll: