Training and Sleeping

shockedsoshocked
shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
Over the past few weeks, whenever i've been out on my bike, or down the gym, on the evening when I go to bed i've been finding it very hard to actually go to sleep. Sometimes even when i'm absolutely shattered. I just simply can't get comfy and am always too hot (even with both windows open!). Now, i've never been a good sleeper anyway, but going to bed at midnight and still being awake when your dad gets up for work at 7am takes the piss somewhat.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? I've thought it may be due to overtraining, but I take atleast 2 days off every week, and don't do anymore than 3 days of training before I have a rest day, and when I do eventually drop off I actually get a good sleep (but waking up at midday isn't handy when you want to do 60 miles before work :cry: )

It might not even be due to the training at all, but I was just wondering if anyone else had experiences something similar?
"A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    How much time is there between you finishing exercising and then going to bed?
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Thyroid probs? Menopause? :wink: Exercise too late too often? Other worries? disturbed sleep patterns (work/baby) - regular sleeping times are best they say.

If you stay awake during the day then you might just be getting enough - sleep. If you're irritable/tearful worse at pretty much everything you need more- sleep. :)
  • The latest I usually leave the gym is about 7pm, so 5 hours at the very least. And i'm far from irritable during the day, like I said i get enough sleep eventually, just not when i want to, haha.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Little things like eating or drinking alcohol before going to bed can be a factor - do you eat later on days when you train? Also watching TV. Try not eating or drinking alcohol after 8pm and no TV after 10pm. Read a book and have a mug of hot milk instead... now I feel like an agony uncle!!!

I'm occasionally the same in that I can't get comfy if I've had a particularly hard session. I've heard some people mention progressive relaxation techniques. Start with the extremeties, try to consciously relax your feet, then work up to your core etc. There's plenty on the internet if you Google...
  • bigmug
    bigmug Posts: 58
    It is something that used to annoy me after evening 10s or 25s, could not drop off. I put it down to slightly elevated and powerful heartbeats and overheating - and maybe a bit of overeating also! Afraid I hit the can of larger to induce sleep - trouble then you would wake early for a p**.
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    Try not eating or drinking alcohol after 8pm and no TV after 10pm. Read a book and have a mug of hot milk instead... now I feel like an agony uncle!!!

A killjoy I'd say !
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Yeah I had this problem all summer!
    It wasn't that I wasn't sleeping it was that I was sleeping from 3am till 12 pm :S

Do the ride early on in the day, and eat and drink all day so you don't go to bed hungry, stretch and do warm downs properly, other than that I've found it just went away.

You might still be overtraining even on your regime. try doing only 2 hard sessions a week with the rest of the time being quality enudrance or recovery rides.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Followed some of the tips, seemed to work. Didn't take too long to drop off and was awake by 10am, yay.

So it seems to be working. Reminds me of coming home from uni when I was used to sleep between 4am and 2pm :lol:

Anyway, it's a stunning day, i'm off work, and I fancy doing the chimney today :twisted:

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • nickcuk wrote:
    A killjoy I'd say !

:lol: Needless to say, other forms of entertainment exist, some of which may be removed by DrDeath :wink: