Tuesday night rides on the Malverns [Worcs/Hereford]

bonk man
bonk man Posts: 1,054
edited October 2007 in MTB rides
Informal evening rides at the pace of the slowest [walking :wink: ] rider. 6 pm at the Clock Tower in North Malvern , probably changing to 7pm after the clocks change and maybe include a pub stop. You will need lights and lots of them :D As the rides are fairly informal best contact me to make sure it is on ! or the meeting place and time is the same..............We have been doing them for a few weeks and people are turning up and having fun.....
steve@melsteve.fsnet.co.uk
Club rides are for sheep

Comments

• neilmac
    neilmac Posts: 22
    I'll be up for Malvern night rides soon.....i just need to splash out on some lights first!

Do you have any recommendations?
  • bonk man
    Oh god,,,,,,, what a question :D ..................
    There are so many to choose from , try the Audax website as they have a page of links to lighting revues and websites http://www.audax.uk.net/arrivee/index.htm
    I use a Cateye EL 300 and an old Vista light at the moment which is ok to a point but some one is selling me a couple of 10 watt halogen things with a battery pack. The prices of these lights are coming down, you can spend as much or as little as you want. I have a 4 LED effort from Argos that would be ok for gentle off road.
    Read the revues is the best I can offer, and maybe put a lighting topic on the Know How bit or in the Commuting section as they love their lights.....
    How about a hub dynamo with a really good quality front light, that'll frighten the rabbits :P
    Club rides are for sheep
  • neilmac
    It was a cheeky question really....as i've had my head in al the internet & magazine reviews both from this year and last year! I was looking for balck & white answer!

i'm looking at going down the LED option as i've been hearing good things about the new Dinotte lights (600L) and the Niterider lights (Trinewt) both these ligts are pumping out up to 600 lumens.

But what i really want to know is are these types of lights going to enable me to ride at daylight speeds down fast descents?
  • bonk man
    EAT MORE CARROTS
    Club rides are for sheep
  • neilmac
    what carrots though?? :P
  • These rides sound great - however, I only have "get you home" lights... Roughly how long are you out for ?

I might invest in night vision goggles. :wink:
    Whyte PRST-1 Works Special (+ carbon everywhere)
    Felt Superlight XC Racer, Carbon HT
    Pinarello Monvisio - Road
    GT Aero Edge TT Bike (Spinergy / Hed + Carbon)
    4 pairs of assorted running shoes
  • I used to ride the Hills all the time.
    I miss those babes, good ride all the way to Castlemorten. Don't get the same here in Beijing hahaha
  • bonk man
    We do a couple of hours but some of that might be waiting for slow coach riders or trying to work out where we are ...... :oops: .......... last week the clouds were so thick up there we got lost on the Beacon ... not an easy thing to do usually, visibility was down to about 10 yards with all lights blazing , very exciting coming down , one guy managed to break his toe and knacker his knackers when he went off a small drop off... trouble was he didnt see it :?
    I used my cross bike which made the rooty sections going up a bit interesting....

clubsport911 get yourself some lights, St John Street Cycles are doing some of those battery pack 2 x 10 watt sets for about 30 quid. They'll do lovely.

Travis_M did you use to go out with the Cyclesport lot on Wednesday evenings, I couldn't keep up with that lot
    Club rides are for sheep
  • Sounds fun. St Johns Street cycles... in Gt Malvern ? (new to round here). Despite going up to the malverns a couple of times, I'm still leaning towards Forest of Dean as my No.1 spot for all sorts of reasons. If you're on a CX bike then hats off to you... they can be soooo quick
    Whyte PRST-1 Works Special (+ carbon everywhere)
    Felt Superlight XC Racer, Carbon HT
    Pinarello Monvisio - Road
    GT Aero Edge TT Bike (Spinergy / Hed + Carbon)
    4 pairs of assorted running shoes
  • bonk man
    St Johns Street is in Bridgewater , Somerset but do a good mail order service on line, their main thing is touring bike really but lights is lights :D
    Club rides are for sheep