Cool Cycling Role Models

PaulJHart
PaulJHart Posts: 33
edited October 2007 in The bottom bracket
The post here on 'Classy cylists' got me thinking about cool cyling role models- I'm not talking here about famous racing cylings but more people in the public eye or tv/film charachters who encourage young people to ride more.

I'm really struggling - about he only one i can muster is the character in teachers (who used to be Egg in 'this life') as his trips in to school were usually accompanied by cool indie music.

Anybody know any one better (please no mentions of camoron, boris or livingstone)

(ps apologies if simliar has already been posted I was too lazy to search)

Comments

• adam hart-davies on his mono-forked (?) pink and yellow machine on Local Heroes (some time ago mind) :?
    There's always one more idiot than you bargained for.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    TBH I think some of the classy racers are those who encourage people to ride more.
    For me Lance Armstrong is much more of a motivation for me to get out on my bike than Adam Hart Davis.

But in the public eye I would say...
    John Snow
    He's a legend and president of CTC. So my vote goes to him.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • yeah john now is cool but of all the people mentioned i'm not sure your average teenager would know any of them - maybe lance but hart-davies only from history lessons. why is that no soap opera characters ride bikes ? (correct me if i'm wrong as i dont really watch soaps)
    surely its not representative to have everyone walking or driving everywhere?
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Well......

You say that but....

It kind of is...

The only people who ride bikes at my age are students- who only do it because they are too lazy to walk, poor people who can't afforda car, and racing cyclists who would find Lance A. more inspirational than John Snow.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • 'Call-me-Dave'!!

I wonder how many people have started cycling to work after Dave Cameron started doing it.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    trailtrash wrote:
    adam hart-davies on his mono-forked (?) pink and yellow machine on Local Heroes (some time ago mind) :?

Sadly has just been nicked!

FRom Velovision:
    While I was away on holiday this month, burglars smashed their way into my garage (crowbars etc.) and stole the following cycles (which were locked to Sheffield stands inside):

Trice Explorer red/orange/blue, frame no 3048, with black rear rack, suspension, 81 gears, side bar-bag fixing etc.

Trice Pixie white, frame no 2121

Birdy red, frame no P9032778, aluminium rack

British Eagle Trail MTB pink/yellow, 17 yrs old, serial no 00308/9; police security register no 52 998 00085

Al Carter Hondo Creek 500LX MTB blue/grey, 14 yrs old, serial no 4920513654; police security register no 52 998 00086

If any of these cycles crosses your path, please phone Redland Police Station (Bristol) 0117 945 4423, quoting crime ref. B/2699/20092007/01 (PC2699 Matt Lonsdale).

Many thanks,
    Adam Hart-Davis 27 September 2007
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    National figures are fine, but cycling happens at a local level, and it is the local role models that are more effective.

To me one ofthe "role models" was the late Ron Beams
    Still cycling on his 99th Birthday and an active meber of recumbent, and folding cycle groups. :
    I was privileged to meet him on several occasions and spent an educating afternoon at Amberley in his company.

An avid cyclist, a real gentleman of the road, and someone who infected everyoe he met with his knowldge and interest in cycling.

People like Ron will do far more for cycling in a real sense than the "icons" that will be emulated whilst fashionable and then forgotten.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Firstly, Andrew Lincoln was the guy from Teachers.

Hmm - as for LA being a 'role model' for cycling - how come he bails out as soon as he can't find a way of making money? He could have done a Bob Stapleton or Jonathon Vaughters, but no, he doesn't work on principles and is clearly not prepared to put his money at risk.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    What about PC Plum? he's cycled around balamory more than once or twice.
  • George Bush
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Nicholas Crane - Mapman blokey.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...Mick Jagger, Billy Connolly, Alexi Sayle, Will Self, Boris Johnson, Richard Hammond...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Here's a few more (slightly) well-known people who supposedly ride/rode bicycles regularly in their free time during some period in their lives:

playwright Alfred Jarry, Queen Beatrix of Holland, Albert Einstein, actors Brad Pitt, Robin Williams (i.e. not singer Robbie), Jude Law, Pierce Brosnan, actresses Sarah Bernhardt, Doris Day, Jennifer Aniston (perhaps due to ex-husband Brad Pitt), Imogen Poots, singers Madonna, former Spice-Girl Melanie C, Sheryl Crow (due to a certain influence?), guitarist Eric Clapton, ex-footballer/TV personality Ian Wright, TV personality Mike Harding, writer/broadcaster Tom Vernon, fashion designer Jeff Banks, F1-men Michael Schumacher and Alain Prost (Prost took part in several Etapes du Tour in the 90s), ex-Brookside star Simon O'Brien, and last but not least ex-Hollyoaks star Gemma Atkinson

Gemma-bike.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Virtually every Formula One driver is a fairly serious cyclist (Weber and Alonso in particular)

Also Sir Paulsmith, the fashion designer not the man who's name is banned, was looking to be a pro-racer as a teenager until he had a really bad crash.

Another from fashion is Michael Ball, the guy behind the currently very trendy brand Rock & Republic, who started out by designing jerseys for his cycling club. (His company sponsor a team in the USA - and they have the best jerseys)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    Hugh Dennis rode this year's etape - proving that even complete twits can do it.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Mine is, um, Turbo from Breakdance the Movie in a round about kind of way.

I'd never heard of the Tour de France before watching Breakdance the Movie, and the amazing (NB may not be amazing now, not seen the film for years :lol: ) scene where he dances with a broom to the tune of Kraftwerk's Tour de France blew me away. Bought the single with my pocket money, which then lead me to watch the TdF which Ch.4 had handily just started showing. Been hooked ever since.
  • geoff thomas of course! :roll:
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • I'd forgotten about Paul Smith - his tie in's with rapha definitely help make the activity (as opposed to the sport) cooler. shame there just stupidly expensive.

though I'm no great fan I think the coolest cyclist are some of the cycle couriers. i guess its the danger thing of weaving through london traffic dressed all in black on a fixie - live fast & dies young etc.
  • Ste_S wrote:
    Mine is, um, Turbo from Breakdance the Movie in a round about kind of way.

I'd never heard of the Tour de France before watching Breakdance the Movie, and the amazing (NB may not be amazing now, not seen the film for years :lol: ) scene where he dances with a broom to the tune of Kraftwerk's Tour de France blew me away. Bought the single with my pocket money, which then lead me to watch the TdF which Ch.4 had handily just started showing. Been hooked ever since.

Sorry for laughing but thats the best way i've ever heard anyone get into cycling! Just thinking of all the dance battles scenes haha.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015