Spinning

moscowflyer
moscowflyer Posts: 540
What's the general opinion on these classes? After a few months of laziness I need to get back up to the level of fitness I was at the turn of the year, which was pretty high. I'm doing a fair amount of running at the moment with a couple of rides thrown in just to help shift the excess fat I've gained, but I'm now thinking of one or two spinning classes a week to help me get my fitness back.

Are they effective, and how do they help in preparation for getting back on the bike properly after a prolonged absence?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Love em. Much more motivational than a turbo trainer and the eye candy can be good sometimes :wink:
  • Good fun, but not ideal winter training: too short and mostly intervals based. Would be better perhaps in Jan/Feb rather than this time of year. Still, better than sitting on your arse.
  • I found them great fun - but ended every session with an embarrassing sweat pool around the bike. Maybe that's just me. Not sure whether I could have used the time more effectively (probably) but I enjoyed it - and that's what exercise is all about for me.

Top tip - get the bike which is in front of the fan!
    Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/
  • Spinning is good, but to get back into things, you'd probably be better off doing flat long rides at higher cadence. Spin classes are pretty intense and might not be a good way to "ease " into your riding again! Once you've got a good base training block done, then you can do the spin classes...
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    I noticed the local concil sports centre is doing a class called RPM - a 50 minute session with set programmes. I think I'll go along to see what it's like.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I've never done a Spin class, but don't you set the resistance for yourself - so some dolled up lady or bloke (no sexist comments) could very easily do the class, whilst you might have dialled it up to the max, hence the sweat......
    I know there is a 'league' thing going on in some classes, but put a bikey in there without dialling it up, they would waste the lot.......

That aside, exercise bikes are really badly set up for a cyclist..... 1" leg adjustments, and no reach/height adjustment.... hate the things, but can easily make the machine sound like it's about to explode, along with the sweat pouring off me...

Why is it that many folks in a gym don't even sweat...... another topic I think.
  • fossyant wrote:
    I've never done a Spin class, but don't you set the resistance for yourself - so some dolled up lady or bloke (no sexist comments) could very easily do the class, whilst you might have dialled it up to the max, hence the sweat......
    I know there is a 'league' thing going on in some classes, but put a bikey in there without dialling it up, they would waste the lot.......

That aside, exercise bikes are really badly set up for a cyclist..... 1" leg adjustments, and no reach/height adjustment.... hate the things, but can easily make the machine sound like it's about to explode, along with the sweat pouring off me...

Why is it that many folks in a gym don't even sweat...... another topic I think.

I wouldn't be so sure.... :wink:
  • A lot depends on the teacher.

The most recent one I had was not good at all. Hellbent on forcing the class through some daft routine.
  • Like most of these things, there's good and bad. I used to enjoy Stephen Keppie's classes in Edinburgh but unfortunately he doesn't do my local gym anymore. If you didn't want to follow his suggestions he was cool about it. I've also heard about classes where the teacher will come and turn up the resistance up he tinks you're not trying hard enough.

The bikes tend adjusted for both saddle height, fore and aft and handlebar reach.

Many's the time I've seen a 'real' biker go into the class 'to sort these gym bunnies out' only to see them nearly displace their own body weight in sweat out of their a*se and literally crawling out red faced at the end. (OK that might have been me on my first time)
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body