rockondirtjumps Posts: 34
edited October 2007 in MTB buying advice
what are the hope headsets like?

im considering one
peter hardy

Comments

• Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    I've had one for the past 5 years, its been on three bikes. Haven't touched it once its been fitted. Can't fault it.

Other option is a Chris King off Ebay.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    I have a Hope headset (since early 2004) and it hasn't caused me any grief on either of the two frames its been on.

I do like the look of the Chris King ones too :D
  • thaibog
    thaibog Posts: 271
    My hope headsets are faultless...have 2 on my bikes and as long as you fit them with heavy duty grease your fine..I use tractor grease..real sticky and perfect for a headset.repels all water .
  • azza 05
    azza 05 Posts: 248
    i know this might sound stupid but how do you fit a headset??
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    azza 05 wrote:
    i know this might sound stupid but how do you fit a headset??

read park tools. :roll:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • russ0228
    russ0228 Posts: 228
    if you don't have the tools to fit the headset yuorself then there are only ever three steps to do when fitting a new headset. there are the following;
    1) first buy the headset (from your lbs)
    2) get them to fit it.
    3) enjoy your newly fitted device.
    internet (in ter net), secret sanctuary of idiots and nutters.
  • nicklouse
    Word.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    i took my headset to my lbs, where the mechanic proceded to smack it out with a little metal stick and a hammer. and whemn i asked him to show me how to put it back in, he hit it with a big flat spanner and the same hammer. :lol: lbs rules!!!
    i ride a hardtail
  • nicklouse
    Will Snow wrote:
    i took my headset to my lbs, where the mechanic proceded to smack it out with a little metal stick and a hammer. and whemn i asked him to show me how to put it back in, he hit it with a big flat spanner and the same hammer. :lol: lbs rules!!!

WTF no training went on there.

I would not be asking them to do any work.
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    yeah, not so good. actually got banned from there, despite the fact i am one their best customers. (long story) but he didnt charge me or anything, which was cool, and i probably would have done the same (in fact i did, when i put the headset in my new frame...) no harm done, and apparently all that flaring headtubes??? its nigh on impossible, and its just a way of getting you to buy a headset press.or so they say...
    i ride a hardtail
  • does anyone have any experience of the hope integral / low stack headsets ? are they as sealed / protected as the std ? If not, what would you recommend as the best integral set ?
  • nicklouse
    same style bearings.

i am still waiting for drawings and specs from Hope.

they do have images on there webby.
  • Will Snow wrote:
    yeah, not so good. actually got banned from there, despite the fact i am one their best customers. (long story) but he didnt charge me or anything, which was cool, and i probably would have done the same (in fact i did, when i put the headset in my new frame...) no harm done, and apparently all that flaring headtubes??? its nigh on impossible, and its just a way of getting you to buy a headset press.or so they say...
    what did you do,expose their bad practices?
  • russ0228
    russ0228 Posts: 228
    did you ask him why he was fittng the headset like he was in the dark ages. as most shops if not all shops woould have the park tool for the job. i would kicked up a storm like no other. if he would of done that to my bike be it my exspensive one or my commuter it would of been the last bike he would of done it to. end of.
    christ even crappy bob the builder type shops have the right tools for that.
    internet (in ter net), secret sanctuary of idiots and nutters.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeah, never use a spanner: plank of wood is the way to do it.