Mr Tinkoff

hammerite
hammerite Posts: 3,408
edited October 2007 in The bottom bracket
I was walking down Oxford St yesterday at about 5pm and saw a guy sitting on a bench with his bike next to him. It was packed like most Saturdays with throngs of people walking past.

He was in complete Tinkoff race kit with a rather tasty looking Pinarello bike which to my rather inexperienced eye looked like..... http://www.chicagolandbicycle.com/pinarellodogmafp.htm

This might be a common sight in London, but to an out of towner like me it just seemed a strange place to be having a rest during a ride out!!

Comments

• Typical London poser! Would get dropped by your Granny on her RSW 16 coming back from Aldi! :wink:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    LOL! Bet if you looked closer there would have been a big placard on the floor saying "Bike Kit Sale This Way :arrow: " or something similar :wink:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • hammerite
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    LOL! Bet if you looked closer there would have been a big placard on the floor saying "Bike Kit Sale This Way :arrow: " or something similar :wink:

lol, it did cross my mind, but he wasn't reading a book!!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    why didnt you go check he was alright, i was out on a ride yesterday and saw an elderly gentleman propping his bike up against a wall underneath a road bridge. So i stopped (as i always do when i see cyclists on the side of the road in random places and this was a random country road) and asked him if he was alright, his reply:
    Yeah, i'm fine was just going for a piss. Great day for a ride isnt it.
    I said yeah its a beautiful day, enjoy your ride out. and went on my way
  • hammerite
    spasypaddy wrote:
    why didnt you go check he was alright, i was out on a ride yesterday and saw an elderly gentleman propping his bike up against a wall underneath a road bridge. So i stopped (as i always do when i see cyclists on the side of the road in random places and this was a random country road) and asked him if he was alright, his reply:
    Yeah, i'm fine was just going for a piss. Great day for a ride isnt it.
    I said yeah its a beautiful day, enjoy your ride out. and went on my way

I was thinking of doing that, but he honestly looked quite fine to me. I think it would've been more precarious for me to turn around to talk to him as I'd have been trampled by the crowds (we see more cows than people where I live!)!!
  • beckenham
    beckenham Posts: 242
    hammerite wrote:
    I was walking down Oxford St yesterday at about 5pm and saw a guy sitting on a bench with his bike next to him. It was packed like most Saturdays with throngs of people walking past.

He was in complete Tinkoff race kit with a rather tasty looking Pinarello bike which to my rather inexperienced eye looked like..... http://www.chicagolandbicycle.com/pinarellodogmafp.htm

This might be a common sight in London, but to an out of towner like me it just seemed a strange place to be having a rest during a ride out!!

Perhaps he did the London Freewheel and can't find his way home again :?
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Tinkoff team ride Colnago, but I'd be willing to wager this is the Tyler Hamilton fan who also rides a Pinarello and is often seen out and about wearing Tyler Hamilton Foundation kit... remember, Tinkoff signed Hamilton before realising what a mistake that was and then tried to ditch him
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • hammerite
    phil s wrote:
    Tinkoff team ride Colnago, but I'd be willing to wager this is the Tyler Hamilton fan who also rides a Pinarello and is often seen out and about wearing Tyler Hamilton Foundation kit... remember, Tinkoff signed Hamilton before realising what a mistake that was and then tried to ditch him

Being a bit of a newbie I did check out what bikes Tinkoff ride, the Pinarello bike he had was white, yellow and black so he could also have the two because they match!

But you could well be right on the Hamilton thing too.
  • fraz167
    fraz167 Posts: 142
    On Oxford St in August...was he a black guy, quite tall?

Cheers
    Fraser
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    phil s wrote:

I know the THF guy and have confirmed it wasn't him.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • hammerite
    fraz167 wrote:
    On Oxford St in August...was he a black guy, quite tall?

Cheers
    Fraser

Yep, but not in August this was on Saturday just gone. He was sat down on a bench, didn't see how tall he was.