Roadkill

sejackans
sejackans Posts: 78
edited October 2007 in The bottom bracket
Was cycling through the country lanes on Sunday morning and saw a fair few dead animals, squirrels, rabbits, a mole a badger and a small dear. I had a ruck sack on my back and it got me wondering which of all these should i take home with me. I had to eliminate the dear on the grounds of "already served in restaurants".

So what would you have picked and how would you have served them

Oh before the Campaign against the Cruelty of already Dead Animals who cannot Cross the Roads Society begin complaining i ask this as someone who has not eaten meat for 25 years.

But on saying that if i were to begin eating meat again, i may begin again with a badger burger with a side order of mole pate

Comments

• jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    we saw quite a few Pheasant "roadkill" on Saturday, the thought of taking them home did cross my mind.
    I suppose if I saw it killed and therefore knew how long it had been there I may have been more tempted.

Pheasant curry anyone,

On tour the following have come to mind when seeing roadkill

Bunny Burger
    Squirrel Stew
    Skewered Snake

george
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    the roadkill round here always seems to have a big long piece of mince coming out of it.
    About to have lunch and feeling sick now.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I found a dead turtle/tortoise (I don't know the difference) once. It occured to me that it might make a nice soup, and, of course it comes with it's own bowl! Nature's own ready meal?

A bit further down the road there was a live one having a breather. I was going to take a photo of my lid racing it, adding some speed blur later in Photoshop, but my camera batteries were flat. :cry: I picked it up and carried it to the other side of the road and it went "Wheeee!".*

*I may have made the last bit up.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • I'm no Charles Darwin but the only way to find a turtle round these parts is if a tsunami struck the country. I thought they were a marine animal, but on saying that they would be a little salty and so would save on the seasoning
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    sejackans wrote:
    I'm no Charles Darwin but the only way to find a turtle round these parts is if a tsunami struck the country. I thought they were a marine animal, but on saying that they would be a little salty and so would save on the seasoning
    It was in the middle of Canada, so probably a tortoise then. I doubt that turtles would be salty - most seafood isn't - at least I can't think of any that is. Longpig, on the other hand, is reputed to be very salty.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've probably seen every large native species at the side of the road in the UK, from shrews to red deer. I was in the Ardennes with some friends and there was wild boar too - not that it was very wild, just very dead. In the recent dry hot weather, you can usually smell the road kill well before you see it!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • beckenham
    beckenham Posts: 242
    I saw a huge badger when I was out yesterday :shock: It was absolutely massive, I've never seen one that big before :shock: :wink:
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I was stopped by a herd of cows yesterday - they weren't dead but I feared I was going to be road kill as they eyed me up on their way past. I watched my heart rate monitor creeping up as they mooed their way past me. I don't get on with animals.
  • beckenham
    beckenham Posts: 242
    popette wrote:
    I was stopped by a herd of cows yesterday - they weren't dead but I feared I was going to be road kill as they eyed me up on their way past. I watched my heart rate monitor creeping up as they mooed their way past me. I don't get on with animals.

I was out walking my dog a few years back and we entered a field of cow's including some young ones. They all started to chase us. I never know that I was capable of jumping over a style in the way I did :?
    Beer, the reason my ambitions have not become my achievements
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    wild boar too - not that it was very wild

Wild?! It was probably absolutely livid!' (With apologies to Not the Nine O'clock News)
    There's always one more idiot than you bargained for.
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    Met a suicidal squirrel on Sunday which ran into my front wheel - but fortunately for both of us it bounced off the tyre and ran away.

Also met a dog which ran up barking until (with a glare at the dopey owner) it got my foot in it's face!
    Monty Dog wrote:
    In the recent dry hot weather, you can usually smell the road kill well before you see it!

On my regular ride is a very old, very flat, very dead sheep and the smell is horrendous! Unfortunately it's right at the top of a long, steep hill and after the climb holding your breath on the way past is not an option... Ewwww!