Engineering multi tool project

gtchucker16
gtchucker16 Posts: 160
edited October 2007 in MTB general
Hi guys

For my a level enginnering coursework i have to make a multi tiool
I was thinking about using it for mountain biking as its the only area I would get a use out
of the tool.
I was wondering what are the common and most wanted tools when you are away from your workshop / garage
sizesof each tool used would also be really helpful.
Could you also suggets tools that are not on multi tools that you use when out on a ride.

thanks Jamie
my ride ( been modified since though )

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1062919/

Comments

• Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    dont forget to include a bottle opener on it!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    simple really look at your bike and make a list of what you need to work on it.

then look at someone elses and do the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cheers nicklouse but almost everything on mines quick release

just need musles and a 5 mm allen key

• Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Spoke key
    8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1mm allen keys
    Flat head screwdriver
    Chain tool
    Chainring bolt tool

Having the allen keys on one tool, then the others on another tool would be the most logical way.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • thanks a lot guys
    I thought about including a compartment to store master links for chains would this be used ?
    also would you use a spanner ?

several front mechs are attache to the frame by a cross head bolt and a nut. the nut needs holding still to undo / tighten the bolt

thanks
    Jamie

• benneally
    benneally Posts: 973
    A level engineering coursework? U do engineering as a subject? soo unfair :( anyways i think the multitools are good anyways. U need an allen key for hydro bolts, tyre levers, bottle openers, philips screw driver (limiting screws) and bottle opener!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Look at other multitools and see what they have ? Don't do an exact copy though.
  • forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    from one experianced engineer remember KISS (keep it simple stupid)
    oh and look outside the box?
    CNC the miracle maker. :wink:
  • rendo
    rendo Posts: 194
    Look at the things that people dislike about multi-tools and try and improve on the design.

for me, i hate trying to use and allen key of a multi-tool, with a big stupid body getting in the way / trying to hold it.

what about something that uses the allen/screwdriver bits you get with electric drills these days.
  • Reasons I don't currently own a bike multi-tool:

1. My tyres are very difficult to get off with only two tyre levers, as usually included in multi-tools. It's bad enough trying to fix a p******e by the side of the road, without fighting your tools into the bargain - I carry a set of three.

2. Most multi-tools include tools I know I will never need, such as the Torx head for disc brakes.

3. Most multi-tools are clumsy to use, as pointed out by rendo.

4. The multi-tools that do come anywhere near my ideal are generally WAY more expensive than buying the tools individually and carrying them in a little pouch, which is what I do. This also means I get to use proper tools rather than clunky folding things. There's a bit of a space and weight trade-off, but not as much as you might think.

Rendo's suggestion of using driver bits might get around 2 and 3 to some extent, the others are just my personal taste and I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with me.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.