Sportive Training

david p123
david p123 Posts: 14
Can someone point me in the direction of a training plan for completing sportive rides without feeling like death. Currently I do a daily commute of about 20km and the a hilly dales ride (80km) on a weekend with a bit of mountain biking thrown in.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Cheers

Comments

• terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    That's more than I have ever done for a UK sportive and they don't make me feel like death.

Do you have past experience of feeling like death, or is this just anxiety?
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    I think "Get on your bikes and ride" sums it up really.

I try to do around a hundred miles per week and find a really tough 60 or 70 miler the weekend before and that seems to do it for me.

Pick an easer one the first time around. How about a couple of "reliability" rides over winter? There will be a few going on in West Yorks and they are good clean fun.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Its not a race so if you feel that bad, ride them at a more steady effort :D
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    That sort of training is what I do for Sportives like the Etape as well as the Uk ones. I guess you want to do them quicker than me though and this seems to be where various combinations of intervals pay off.
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    You don't say how long the sportive rides you do are. IMHO if your longest ride is 80km and your sportive was 100miles, that would be quite a jump.Is this the case? If so I would humbly suggest trying to lengthen your long sunday rides to closer to 80 to90 miles now and again.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Although I’m sure your daily commute of 20 km is good and beneficial (and what I'd love if it were possible), and your hilly 80 km a good workout, I’d suggest
    - during the week a 2-hour intensive ride, either at a ‘high’ speed throughout, or else as a series of hill/interval sessions
    - and at the weekend, a much longer ride at less intensity, 120-150 km.