Nintendo Wii

hammerite
hammerite Posts: 3,408
edited October 2007 in The bottom bracket
I had the master stroke of telling my gf I was getting her a Wii for her b'day (end of Oct), which is great because me and the little one also want one! She isn't into games consoles but actually wants one because you get quite active while playing.

Apart from the Wii Play or sports bundle can anyone tell me what else we need to get going? Must haves to make playing it worthwhile?

I know there a load of different types of controllers, which should we get and what memory cards are needed?

Any tips on where to get one? as stock still seems to be a little scarce too!!

Comments

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    hiya,
    we started off with wii play and wii sports. Will play came with a controller so that meant we had two controllers and one nun chuck (sp?). We have since bought an additional nun chuck. My husband and son play other games (mario football, zelda, wario, ant bully, cars) but I find wii play and will sports are the ones I'm most interested in. The boxing on sports is definitely active - I have to get my sports bra on if I'm playing that one.
    I'm not a gamer by any means but I really enjoy the wii. We've had some great bowling battles in the comfort of our lounge. I'm sure that she'll love it too because it's so much fun to play.

don't know about memory cards. I don't think we have bought any of those. We got ours from game.

good luck and have fun with it.
  • hammerite
    popette wrote:
    hiya,
    we started off with wii play and wii sports. Will play came with a controller so that meant we had two controllers and one nun chuck (sp?). We have since bought an additional nun chuck. My husband and son play other games (mario football, zelda, wario, ant bully, cars) but I find wii play and will sports are the ones I'm most interested in. The boxing on sports is definitely active - I have to get my sports bra on if I'm playing that one.
    I'm not a gamer by any means but I really enjoy the wii. We've had some great bowling battles in the comfort of our lounge. I'm sure that she'll love it too because it's so much fun to play.

don't know about memory cards. I don't think we have bought any of those. We got ours from game.

good luck and have fun with it.

Thanks for that Popette. Glad you think she will like it.

At the moment we have a PS2, I don't play it often but the little one is always wanting someone to play it with him, which usually falls to me. If there are games we can all play it'll make things a lot better!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    make sure you get an additional nunchuk, theres nothing more annoying than not being able to punch the lights out of people on a game! you need the controllers, alot of the games the controllers can be passed around but games like mario party (which is a board game made up of loads of mini games) need a controller each to get the full benefit of the game.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    the lightsabre jedi dohicky is out at christmas... a real reason to buy imo
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I only have Sports and Play.

I want Pilot wings when it comes out (bit retro)
    <font size="1">ti</font id="size1"> <font size="1">steel</font id="size1">
  • Be prepared for your TV remote etc... to suddenly stop working after the kids have nicked the batteries for the Wii remote.
    Alternatively get one of these http://riverstreams.co.uk/index.php?act ... MAodsjOrIg[url][/url]
  • have just spent 8 hours ringing every store of Game /tesco extra /makro / argos/ debenhams/ john lewis / woolworths / toysrus / the link from west midlands up to north wales and manchester.
    NO_ONE i mean NO-ONE has a Wii in stock
    wtf.
    I need one for my daughters birthday in 19 days !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    argh, if anyone knows where there is one in stock, please can you let me know.

many thanks....
  • Argos have them in

store reserve only though - not online
    <font size="1">ti</font id="size1"> <font size="1">steel</font id="size1">
  • hammerite
    Argos didn't have them available for reservation when I tried earlier in the week (and I tried a lot of other places!).

However, I went to Morrisons in MK on Wednesday just to get a sandwich and noticed a lady walking out with a Wii box. I asked her if she had just bought the whole system in the shop and she confirmed she had.

I went in and got one, asked how many they had left cos I wasn't able to get one elsewhere...... and they had 12 just in the MK store (the guy said they only sell about 5 a week). So MK will have some even if they haven't in any Morrisons closer to you Tiredeye.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    http://www.wiipreorder.co.uk/

Keep checking this site and you will probably get one. I know a few people who got one earlier in the year when there were massive shortages by using this.

Friday is always a good day to check - Especially at Argos.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • hammerite
    iainf72 wrote:
    http://www.wiipreorder.co.uk/

Keep checking this site and you will probably get one. I know a few people who got one earlier in the year when there were massive shortages by using this.

Friday is always a good day to check - Especially at Argos.

yes these sites are quite good.

here is another....... http://www.wii-consoles.co.uk/

although they only show online shop stock. You may find by going in to a couple of shops they so have stock (like my luck at Morrisons!).
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    I found that the video / dvd rental places have them in stock - I got mine from a blockbuster, but calling around the other - choices and one other who's name I forgot - have them in too, They didn't have any parts for them though - and NO-one has the wii play (which is the best way of getting another remote for it.

I ended up getting the console from blockbuster and nipping round to asda to get another controller - they didn't have the console though and neither did argos, currys, comet, pc world and numerous game places local to me.
  • hammerite
    gkerr4 wrote:
    I found that the video / dvd rental places have them in stock - I got mine from a blockbuster, but calling around the other - choices and one other who's name I forgot - have them in too, They didn't have any parts for them though - and NO-one has the wii play (which is the best way of getting another remote for it.

I ended up getting the console from blockbuster and nipping round to asda to get another controller - they didn't have the console though and neither did argos, currys, comet, pc world and numerous game places local to me.

I got Wii play from an Amazon marketplace seller, but I struggled to find anywhere else with it. Ebay returns loads of Wii play games, but not with the free controller.
  • I spoke to guys at uksoftwaretech.co.uk .. they have ebay store too as I ordered one from them for Xmas. Anyways the story goes that Nintendo, microsoft and sony all hold back their 4Q stock so that they can a) create a sensation that the console is very scarce so people will think even more likely to go buy one, and b) that they sell more in 4Q to make it look number 1 best selling console before xmas. So blame the marketing dickheads and financial controllers. So I'll know for again to buy end Aug/early sept @ 178 pounds in Amazon, rather than the 290 pounds or so being charged now.
    For what its worth he said the new Nintendo DSlite (Gameboy type thing) is released soon, and he expects the Wii stock to flow once this is on (Oct19th he reckons when stock being released) . I'm attempting to get one for Xmas. I am actually going to US before then, but as there's no hack for regions on the Wii, It would mean inablility to share games.