Single speed technique

david p123
david p123 Posts: 14
Could anyone give any advise about getting to grips with my new single speed (not fixed)
What I mean is how to tackle hills and pedalling technique
Cheers

Comments

• david p123 wrote:
    "Just get on your bikes and ride!"

HI there.

I think you've answered your own question :-)

Cheers, Andy
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Err
    Riding SS is just like riding gears except you don't have any others to play with.
    So just pedal.
    You may need to stand-up on the steep hills, you may have to stop pedalling on the steep down hills.
    Nothing to it really. When I was a kid it was all we had and somehow we managed!

If it's a road-bike, plan to go fixed, it can have advantages over SS.
    Enjoy. :D

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Can I ask what motivates you to ride a single speed freewheel? I may be wrong but doesn't this just give the disadvantages of riding fixed, with none of the advantages?

Ruth
  • Richie G
    Richie G Posts: 283
    Sorry to sound a bit thick, but what are the advantages of fixed? Just looks down right terrifying going downhill!
  • BeaconRuth wrote:
    Can I ask what motivates you to ride a single speed freewheel? I may be wrong but doesn't this just give the disadvantages of riding fixed, with none of the advantages?

Hi there.

...er... Low maintenance winter commuter. That's about all I can think of.
    Richie G wrote:
    Sorry to sound a bit thick, but what are the advantages of fixed? Just looks down right terrifying going downhill!

See this recent thread:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12544942

If you're interested in riding fixed, take a trip across to the 'Special Interests' forum:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=40013

Cheers, Andy
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    david p123 wrote:
    Could anyone give any advise about getting to grips with my new single speed (not fixed)
    Cheers

did you buy the tricross then ?
  • BeaconRuth wrote:

Ruth

Here's why:

1. I live in a hilly area and going down would be too much like hard work.

2. Part of my commute is off road

3. I need a low maintenance winter commuting bike that can do alittle offroad.

4. It does have flip flop hub if fancy going fixed at some point
    Cheers
    Dave
  • MrGrumpy wrote:
    david p123 wrote:
    Cheers

did you buy the tricross then ?
    Yes picking it up tomorrow hopefully
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    cool let me know what comes with it, apparently its advertised with a deraileur hanger if required but cannot see how you would fit or use as the spacing will be all wrong for a freewheel and cassette ??
  • Don't think there is a derailleur hanger. Certainly didn't see anything like that on the one I took out. As you say the spacing would be all wrong.