Friction shifting 6+ gears

DrMeths
DrMeths Posts: 16
edited October 2007 in Workshop
Hi all,

A sad demise has come to the rear wheel of my trusty Raleigh 531 commuter as the hub is completely shot. The current rear is a crazy old 6 speed which I have no tools to service, hence I'm going to get a new wheel.

Given this I am trying to find what would be a sensible number of gears for a new block. I have friction shifters (and am not planning to change as I like the lack of fiddling required), and was wondering whether 7, 8 or 9 speed blocks are feasible to shift like this.

Any feedback much appreciated as I have to dip into my pocket next week for all the new bits.

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I shouldn't think you'll have a problem with any of those, the shifters probably have enough range to cover the extra sprockets. Just for information, dt index shifters are fiddle free after initial setup, the short cable will not stretch enough to bugger the indexing for years.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Check the rear width of your frame - it's probably 126mm so will need to be 'tweaked' out to 130mm to accept a cassette rear wheel. If planning to run more than 8 speed, you may need to change your rear mech too as older type rear mechs might not have enough range of movement to reach all your gears - also the pulley wheels need to be narrower to accept the narrow 9/10 speed chains.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I run an eight speed block on mi winter hack with friction shifters.and an old 105 mech; .sure it would work with a nine block as well.
    No problems at all.
  • Hi there.

I think the sensible number of replacement gears for you is 1.

Go, you know you want to!

Cheers, Andy
  • DrMeths
    DrMeths Posts: 16
    Hi there.

I think the sensible number of replacement gears for you is 1.

Go, you know you want to!

I don't really fancy trying to cycle up Muswell Hill on the same gear I use for coming down through Highgate and Archway...

Thanks for the useful answers everyone!