Chain degreasing and Lubing

PhilTheFish
PhilTheFish Posts: 82
edited October 2007 in Commuting chat
After 200 miles on my new Carrera Subway I decided to degrease and relube the chain as it was getting a little bit noisy. Bought myself a chain degreasing thingummybob (the ones with the brushes in the plastic box thingies). It came with a free bottle of citrus degreaser which seemed to work very well.

What do you guys use to lube your chain? When I first got the bike it was like a clear light sticky lube on it, but since then I've just lubed up with WD40.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get a good chain lube.

WD40 is not really a lube but a water displacer and does not really have any place being used on a bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Finish Line Cross Country on the commuter.

White Lightening Original on the road bike.

GT85 on selected other parts.
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    I degrease using a chain scrubber and then rinse the chain with a damp cloth to get rid of degreaser, spray WD40 to displace any water and then dry with a rag, then apply Finish Line Cross Country. Smooth as silk.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    www.sheldonbrown.com

Do the Sheldon Shake, it's the best and most effective way to properly sort your chain. (I mean the serious way, not the silly page, which is quite funny!)
  • Might give this a bash at the weekend....

http://sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html