magura hub/shimano cassette

norfolkguy
norfolkguy Posts: 114
edited September 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Had a bit of an odd experience this morning while trying to split the cassette in order to clean it. I have a Stumpy FSR Comp but modified. It has XTR groupset but has Magura Pro hubs with shmano casstte. I removed wheel, Q/R scewer and undid the splined lockring. All OK so far. I then expected to remove the cassette, but no. The smallest sprocket came off, then the next, then a spacer, then the next sprocket. Then it all stopped. After gently prizing at the next sprocket and nothing happening I noticed the 3 stud ends I'd expected to see in the first place. Great i thought, ease off the rest of the cassette and I can undo the long pins that are hoolfding the rest of it together - it wouldn't budge. I got my fingers round the back and levered them against the spokes to try and drawer the cassette off the splines. there was a sudden pop and it duely came. Upon closer inspection and the tinkling of bits hitting the floor I realised the freehub body had pulled off with it. In panic i looked for the missing spring, slid it back down the shaft, slid the freehub back onto the hub splines, pressed in the bit that goes on the end and all seems well. But how does this damn thing caome apart the way i want it too!! has construction changed that much in the 2 years since i last stripped one down!

Desperately hoping someone can help

Guy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    some hubs do that.

what was the cassette? XTR?

sounds like poor build lead to the cog carrier fusing to the cassette carrier.

not all hubs are the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • So if I use a claw puller should it break free? I can't be sure but it looked like the tiny nut heads which should allow me to remove the pins looked flat at both ends so no way of splitting cassette any further even if it did come off
  • nicklouse
    is the cassette XTR? and if yes is it the M960 or this years M970 ?

NO PULLER SHOULD BE NEEDED.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • I'm not sure about model of cassette. Haven't noticed any markings. Where would it be shown?. From what you say, the damned things just stuck solid and needs persuasion of some sort
  • nicklouse
    pictures please.

but i have a feeling it is a LX or lower spec. cassette and it has cut into the splines on the cassette carrier on the hub.

the cogs will need rotating in the reverse direction to free them up so you can pull them off.

but pictures will help clear it up.
  • Thanks for that suggestion. I'll try using a chain strap to counter rotate them and see if that helps. it makes sense though.