Skipping 7th and 8th gears??

johnMTB
johnMTB Posts: 21
edited September 2007 in MTB general
Well i've got a 3 month old Spec hardrock, ever since I bought it i've had nothing but gearing problems.
First the chain bent when I went to change down whilst going up a steep hill, now I know I shouldn't have!!
Now when I go into 7th or 8th on the rear gearset I can't get out of the saddle for the fear of the chain slipping all the time,
especially when under heavy load.

Now the cycle shop changed the chain and in my opinion there simply isn't enough tension when in the higher gear.

Would this help me out at all??

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17621

Also should the chain rub against the front derailor at all times??
If not then what's the problem?

Cheers John

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like poor mech set up. get the shop to sort it.

and no that kore thing will not help.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I don't wish to say who I bought it off but there a massive shop in south yorkshire and it's been back already.
    When I got the bike back from them after complaining the crank bolt holding the left side of the pedals and gears was loose!!!

I just can't trsut them to do the job correctly,
    also the rear derailor is very slack, it doesn't put alot of tension onto the chain IMO.
  • go back and speak to the manager and explain you problem and he will drive it home to the guys in the workshop.
    internet (in ter net), secret sanctuary of idiots and nutters.
  • I know but TBH it's getting to be a pain in the arse now!!
    All i've had since owning this bike are problems!
    I thought Spec Hardrocks were supposed to be good but is this just down to been setup up badly??

Saying that, they paid for the chain.
  • nicklouse
    and the bike is not right they need to sort it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Well today was the 6th time i've rode it since I bought it.
    Also it's 3 month old, will they just try and get rid of me??
  • nicklouse
    dont take no for an answer if it is not fit for use. they need to replace or fix.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Also, remember you have a duty to check the bike over, do basic maintenance and readjust when required. That includes checking bolts and cleaning cables, which is probably the root of your problems.
  • Well i'll get up in the morning and take it straight down, talk to the manager and take it from there.
  • just remember it has nothing to do with it being a spesh/gt/trek etc,etc. as the parts on all of the above will use shimano/sram gearing witch are well respected brands that do the job they need to do. have you had your 6week service this should of been giving to your bike by now f.o.c. when a bike is new the cables need an few rides to stretch. as they do your gears will go out of sync. and as supersonic you stil need to look after your bike aswell. but it does sound like the gears need to be set up properly. when they redo this ask to see the stops, b tension and gears in all three rings working properly and you want the mechanic to do road test after he readjusts it as sometimes you cannot just set the gears and hey they work as when you ride you put an extra load on to them. but the mechanice should already now this.
    p.s buy the park tools "big blue book of repairs" as it will giude you throught anything you need to do on your own.
  • nicklouse
    russ0228 wrote:
    p.s buy the park tools "big blue book of repairs" as it will giude you throught anything you need to do on your own.

just use the web site at first to get an idea of what is what. linky in sig.
  • Already saved the park tools link in my fav's!!

Cheers :D
  • all you need now is a shed,beer fridge,dog to keep you company and some tools.
    and maybe an tannoy system for the wife to contact you with.
  • nicklouse
    russ0228 wrote:
    all you need now is a shed,beer fridge,dog to keep you company and some tools.
    and maybe an tannoy system for the wife to contact you with.

sod the wife. she can come and find me in the shed.
  • johnMTB
    johnMTB Posts: 21
    edited September 2007
    HAHAHAHAHA to say i've only just started to do this XC MTBing, I bloody love it!!!!
    Something i'm really going to get into now.

Maybe i'll start upgrading the parts on the bike.

Get some Shimano XTR derailors on it!
  • trust me on the tannoy thingy. me and missus broke up as she said i was either biking, in the shed or bouncing when i could of been spending quality time we her instead. i wish i had the tannoy system now. as i could of spent more time we her through it. besides it would of been easier to ask for a cuppa (black 2 sugars). lol
  • Well I took it back in this morning, first they replaced the 7th and 8th gears,
    he road tested it and almost lost control when the gears slipped bad!!!
    Then they fitted a different chain, the second in two weeks!!
    He takes it out again, slip and crunch again, i'm starting to get a little peeved,
    i've stood around for 20 mins and still no better.
    They ring Specilized, they say they've never had this problem before and that try replacing the complete rear gearset and chain.
    So they replace it all with something made by Sram, I suspect the cheapest parts again!!
    Anyway afterwards the fault is gone but i'm still not happy with it but there's nothing I can do as the fault is gone.

Let's see how it goes from here, I may be going on some interest free payment
    and getting a really good one ;)
  • supersonic
    Sounds like they have done a good job to me, and while you wait service is very good.
  • Well I had the same problem again, 4th time, went down and spoke tothe top man in charge.
    He said he used to be a cycle technician and has an idea on what's wrong.

Basically my riding technique!!!

I was in the smallest front gear and in the smallest rear gear, basically 8th.
    Because the chain was crossing over so much, it was causing it to slip.

Now is he correct??

He said I should only use this combination on very steep hills
    and that at all other times to use the centre gear on the front gearset
    and the all the gears on the rear set!
  • supersonic
    He is right! And wrong. There is no need to use that gear at all, as you can get exactly the same gear in the middle chainring. 22/11 which what you are using and crossing the chain at an angle is the same as 32/16. When on the smallest front cog, only use the 4 largest. This should be explained in your manual.
  • hmmm..... :roll:
    it doesn't help that bikes are advertised as having "24 gears!"
    they should just be advertised as 'triple chainring/9-sprocket cassette' preferably with ratios.

If you're giving him the benefit of the doubt, he may have meant that you only ever need to use the small chainring ('granny' ring) on very steep hills, not the combination of small chainring and small sprocket.

But what i don't get is why didn't the guy who changed the mech over realise this?
  • supersonic
    Most biks I see are advertised as 8spd or 9spd. Physically there are 27 gears, but many are very nearly duplicated, or are exactly.